Sign in to follow this  
URAWA

Secondary schools in Hampshire

I have a son with A.S.D. He is in Year 5 in main stream school with learning support department. I have got a date of annual meeting with senco & Hampshire county coucil officer in end of May which we have to name of secondary school. I discovered we can choose from 1)main stream school 2)main stream school with learning support department 3)special school 4)independent special school. We would like to choose from 2) option but only 2 schools near where we live. also They only take aspergers children. I am start thinking best option for my son is independent school in surrey. but I don't know how difficult deal with county coucil.Do you know anybody have a experience? Is it difficult deal with by myself? If you have to hire a soliciter is it expensive? Please give me any advice.

Welcome to the forum :)

First of all, I'm assumimg your son has a Statement?

Next, you say you have these choices for secondary school. Has the LA definitely offered you the special school as an option? If they haven't, you will have to request this, and then your son's papers will go to a panel which will decide whether mainstream or special school is appropriate. If you wanted the independent special school, his papers would then go to another panel to decide whether they will agree funding.

If you do have to go the panel, you need to show that no LA mainstream school can meet his provision as laid out in his Statement. It's not a matter of showing how good the special school might be for your son, but producing solid proof to show that the LA mainstream options cannot meet his needs. If you decide you want the independent special school, then again you need to show that none of the LA special schools can meet his needs.

HTH

Bid :)