Sign in to follow this  
allaboutasd

Another newbie!

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum as a way to meet other parents of ASD kids and also to have a place to come when it all gets too much (saves me posting it all over my facebook page anyway, lol!)

My name is Charlotte and I have 2 kids. Stephen is 10 and was diagnosed with asperger's last year. I have a little girl too, she's called Amy and is 6.

Stephen is a fab little boy at times and a complete nightmare at others. I have been kicked, hit, headbutted, sworn at (with words I didn't even know he knew!), he's even threatened to stab me. My fiancee and I are learning to manage the meltdowns and a gluten free diet has helped but from the research I've done so far it would seem that we are right on target to be in the thick of it!

The kids have had a lot of changes over recent years starting with us leaving their Dad. It was an abusive relationship and I think this has impacted heavily on Stephen.

Luckily my fiancee is everything that my ex wasn't and has worked really hard to form a very strong bond with both kids - he's a proper father figure to them.

Amy is very patient and understanding of her brother and generally just a real sweetie. She has her moments like any other 6yr old but has a very considerate nature which I think, at least in part, is down to having a brother with special needs. She is also exceptionally bright (and I mean really clever).

They both attend the same mainstream school which fails them both. Stephen is hardly ever there as they can't cope so he mostly works at home and Amy is bored out of her brain. Stephen works with my fiancee a lot and Amy does science experiments with me whenever she doesn't have her nose in a book!

They are wonderful kids who've been through a lot but I know that things will get easier and if they carry on like this then they'll be good 'uns :-)

So I'm here..........to exchange ideas...........rant about ignorant people...........beg for help when it all gets too much..........and (hopefully) share our successes when we get something right.

I warn you now though..........I don't get much adult conversation so you might not be able to shut me up!!

Cheers for reading, and so looking forward to making a few new friends :-)

xxx

Hi Charlotte, and welcome to the forum.

So I'm here..........to exchange ideas...........rant about ignorant people...........beg for help when it all gets too much..........and (hopefully) share our successes when we get something right.

I warn you now though..........I don't get much adult conversation so you might not be able to shut me up!!

I think you are going to fit right in :)

Charlotte wonderful way to explain why you've joined and sums up how I feel about the forum.

Welcome :)

Edited by lsw146