Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

amended statement at last

Early Review meeting was back in November, and we've finally got the amended proposed statement - not much sense of urgency there, then, considering the EArly REview was called because things were spiralling downwards...

Anyway the LA has agreed half of our amendments but left out all the recommended amendments discussed at the meeting - the SEN officer who attended the meeting has since left the service, which probably explains why.

Fortunately though, the Autism Outreach teacher and her manager were at the meeting and are happy to meet again with the LA and me to discuss this proposed amended statement. Does drag on though, doesn't it...

Lizzie x

Is there any way of applying pressure so that they sort it out? Could you ask them for some written undertaking that it will be finalised by xxxxx. If it isn't what you want I presume you will be appealing? They maybe dragging it out so that even if you do appeal you won't meet the deadline for the beginning of the new school year? Or if there are limited places at the school of your choice they could all be taken by the time they sort out the Statement?

Is there any way of applying pressure so that they sort it out? Could you ask them for some written undertaking that it will be finalised by xxxxx. If it isn't what you want I presume you will be appealing? They maybe dragging it out so that even if you do appeal you won't meet the deadline for the beginning of the new school year? Or if there are limited places at the school of your choice they could all be taken by the time they sort out the Statement?

This isn't a phase transfer statement, he's currently in Y8 at secondary.

I don't even think they're dragging it out, I just think they're utterly clueless.

It galls me that I have to do so much of their job for them. I'm still waiting for a response or at the very least an acknowledgement to my request for a meeting. The law as it stands isn't the problem, it's the LA's incompetence in adhering to it and acting competently! :angry:

Lizzie x

I know the feeling.

We should get paid as "project managers".

Have you written to them stating the blooming obvious and ask for them to write back within 14 days giving you a timescale for when it will be completed? If you ask for a deadline they are going to find it hard to refuse.

What's really annoying is that it was the LA itself who suggested having this Early Review; now they're taking ages to finish the job!!

Have had an email today saying they're liaising with other professionals to arrange a date for a meeting and will let me know 'in due course'.

LA suggesting meeting date of 15 April, in school holidays! And LA says it must be finalised by 29 April! We got proposed amended statement on 5 March!

Have said that's unacceptable and reminded them of law re meetings and timescales. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Have got a question, though:

Early Review meeting was held in November at LA's suggestion; at the meeting (and in our paperwork) we requested another Early Review in six months time (May). But LA has taken so long with the current one, and it looks like the proposed amended statement may not be finalised for some time... will we still be able to ask for another Early Review??? Do we have to wait until the statement is finalised before having an Early Review? If not in May, then maybe at least before end of summer term? :unsure:

Lizzie x

Why were you seeking another interim review in 6 months time?

As it has taken so long, are there further issues you want to be considered within this review?

If there are things you feel you might end up at tribunal about, then you might consider including those issues now??

Remember that the Education Act also says that there should be professional consideration of the childs "likely future needs". I think it is considered reasonable to consider future needs likely within the next 6 months, but check that.

I'm not sure about whether there is a timescale between which you should not/could not seek a further review. But also bear in mind the time it has taken them to do this one. Indeed they may have taken so long with this review because they knew you wanted another one in 6 months.

They haven't acted reasonably (IMO) with the timescales of this review. I don't know what you could do (if anything) about any future review if they did the same thing. Have you talked to IPSEA or the LGO about it?