Sign in to follow this  
av16

Note in Lieu

Just wanted to share this with you, I hope it's not a sign of things to come. :angry:

I'm a senco and applied for stat assessment for a child in yr 4, she doesn't have ASD but general learning delay and severe speech & language difficulties - on p levels.

Today a note in lieu arrived on my desk, her parents both have learning disabilities and don't speak English so they won't be appealing without lots of encouragement. How can this happen? :wallbash: :wallbash: I'm sure she will need a special school placement for secondary. :crying:

I hope that I can help with an appeal and get her a statement. :tearful:

Edited by av16

:(

Is there anyone who can help her start things off, like Parent Partnership? If they can contact IPSEA tribunal support service, or someone can contact them on the parents' behalf, they may be able to get full representation for their appeal.

If the parents qualify for Legal Aid, they can get a solicitor to prepare their case for free, and possibly free independent reports as well.

IPSEA Tribunal Support: 0845 6029579 10-1 Mon-Thurs

Community Legal advice: 08453454345

K x

Just wanted to say what a fab SENCO you are to care so much! I have been lucky so far with our school SENCO, but so much is down to luck.....

Hi.

I have not been around for months but popped in this morning.

I think it may well be the sign of things to come. :wallbash:

I had already heard about pupils who would previously have been given significant support in year 7 not being offered anywhere near as much because the school could cope with provision delegated.Unfortunately if a school does a good job then the LA may be more likely to think they can cope.It does not always help to be good. :angry::angry:

I think with the new green paper this morning it may be the start of a new era anyway. >:D<<'>

Karen.

Hi Karen

Nice to 'see' you on here again! >:D<<'>

I think it is a very bad sign of what is to come. I have arranged for the school parent support adviser to meet with the parents to try and explain what's happening and she is going to direct them to the Parent's advice Centre; I've already spoken to them and explained. The SEN section said we could support parents with a request to reconsider so I've drafted a letter on their behalf.

Athena - thanks for the message but I'm not a fab senco just concerned that things should be done fairly and children get what they need, especially having been on the other side of the fence!

I have to say the Green paper looks like a lot of pie in the sky, with the cuts that are happening there'll be no-one left to assess or provide any service! :angry:

If the parents are on a low wage or benefits, the best route would be to get legal help from an SEN solicitor now before even that disappears!

Children with SEN can also show very different behaviours at home to school. It can be very difficult to cope with your child at home if they are showing alot of their frustration and emotional upset in that environment because they are not coping in school. It is also quite usual for SS to get involved and ask whether the parents are 'coping', with some parents being sent on parenting courses (in some cases useful - in others totally inappropriate). But if these parents are themselves vulnerable, there could be a real possibility of them not being able to cope with the end outcome of their child being taken into care. I hope that is not something you think could happen??

I have to say the Green paper looks like a lot of pie in the sky, with the cuts that are happening there'll be no-one left to assess or provide any service!

Yes there will........the voluntary sector and parents.......do you not want to set up a free school with me in all those spare hours you have. :devil::devil::devil::lol:

Just to update - we've got her a statement! Only band A but better than nothing :thumbs:

So the message is - as ever - keep going and don't give up :party: