Sign in to follow this  
RainbowsButterflies

Feeling lost

Well, I've now established just how bright DD is (developmentally she measures 60 months when she is 40 months in everything but her gross motor skills), but we always knew she was clever.

But where do we go from here? DD had her ballet shoes on when the HV was here ans she wanted them taking off (I'm not sure if they started to hurt as she hasn't done ballet for a while and the strings inside were quite tight or if she was just bored of them). She just whinged, so the HV said something along the lines that she should be asking and I told her that she gets like that a lot when she is upset and I don't know if its a case of can't or won't communicate when she's upset/frustrated/angry.

There were lots of things I wanted to discuss with her like eye contact, but I had had a bad morning, and then she brought a student with her without warning me :wallbash: . And some of her behaviour is being encouraged because it's 'cute and clever' :wallbash: Frankly it rings alarm bells to me when my 3 year old says 'No Mummy, that's not a dinosaur, it's a lizard.' Yes, she is absolutely correct. Yes, it's fantastic that she can differentiate between the two. But it will get her into a heck of a lot of trouble if she says it to a teacher at school - believe me, I've learnt that the hard way:oops: . But of course I'm just projecting myself onto her. It's perfectly normal for a three year old to sit in a room with a group of toddlers playing and put some cards back into their box, making sure every single one is the right way up before she does it *sighs*.

Oh - and apparently she is socially advanced because when asked she can name her best friend. All the girls at her nursery think they have a best friend but none of them really understand :wacko:

Wish I could offer comfort other than sending my empathy. This reminds of DD refusing to build 'their' version of a bridge at the 18 month check, or starting high school and not being able to dress herself because she was in sensory overload, or hiding in a wardrobe at 15 because she was worried about the restaurant we were going to.... Nothing to worry about because she's such an intelligent girl!

You are allowed to be worried and wary your her Mum! Of course I don't know you and you may be projecting but if you have worries I would say continue to share them until you feel things are okay.

Take care

aww. when i were 13/14 i were forced to make eye cntact, didnt understand why but didnt feel comfortable- but i only make a little amount of eye contact now.

Also at school I used to correct the teacher with there spelling and got into trouble as i kept saying it but i couldn't help myself.

Wow - this is an old post!

If anyone's interested - still not getting taken seriously by HV *rolls eyes*. Seeing the paed again next month but from what the HV said about the report she sent to her she's only keeping her on the books to reassure me. Why do our kids have to get to breaking point at school before anyone will listen? *sighs*