Sign in to follow this  
bid

Autism and language processing research: Update

I had the follow-up session today after my MRI last month.

This was extremely interesting, because the researcher was able to explain more about the project.

Apparently different words trigger responses in different areas of the brain. So, 'object' words trigger a response in a different area compared to 'action' words. The research is looking at whether the idea of people on the spectrum 'thinking in pictures' extends to impacting on which area of the brain is triggered by languge. In other words, would an 'action' word actually trigger the area normally triggered by 'object' words? Do those on the spectrum process 'action' words using the area of their brain normally triggered by 'object' words?

The long-term aim of the research is for some use in education/understanding how those on the spectrum may learn.

I found this all fascinating, and I'm going back to take part in more research, this time having a combined EEG and MEG scan...the latter is so cool, a sort of space-age chair that also covers your head and records the minute magnetic activity in the brain while processing language!! :clap:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www1.aston.ac.uk/EasySiteWeb/getresource.axd%3FAssetID%3D38669%26type%3Dfull%26servicetype%3DInline%26customSizeId%3D0&imgrefurl=http://www1.aston.ac.uk/lhs/research/centres-facilities/brain-centre/facilities-clinical-services/meg-studies/about/&usg=__0zNFZ1w8VSfq6lLJJ212q9Nbt0k=&h=283&w=184&sz=8&hl=en&start=0&zoom=0&tbnid=cJ2HQ2FEuOEveM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=74&ei=KDF5TbjlC4KFhQfckMjoBg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmeg%2Bscan%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1899%26bih%3D817%26tbs%3Disch:1%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1057&vpy=129&dur=296&hovh=114&hovw=74&tx=84&ty=65&oei=KDF5TbjlC4KFhQfckMjoBg&page=1&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

Bid :D

Edited by bid

MEG scan...the latter is so cool, a sort of space-age chair that also covers your head and records the minute magnetic activity in the brain while processing language!! :clap:

It's not!!!!!! It's actually a scam - they're really going to strap you up then get your Meg to come in and poke you with a light sabre!!! :star::lol: :lol:

Actually, you'll be beamed up to the Mother-ship and returned to your kind. It's a new hi-tec way of ridding the 'human' world of all us non-humans... :ph34r::whistle:

It's not!!!!!! It's actually a scam - they're really going to strap you up then get your Meg to come in and poke you with a light sabre!!! :star::lol: :lol:

Actually, you'll be beamed up to the Mother-ship and returned to your kind. It's a new hi-tec way of ridding the 'human' world of all us non-humans... :ph34r::whistle:

I can't wait!! :thumbs::notworthy:

'Beam me up, Scotty!!' :dance::clap:

Bid :D

Sounds fascinating, but what about those autistic people who don't think in pictures?

Do you know if they're looking to see if 'verbal' thinkers think the opposite way round - i.e. 'object' words triggering 'action' thinking areas (I think! :wacko: )? And what about the 'pattern/mathematical' thinkers?

Be interesting too to see if there's a cross-over into the neurotypical study group - i.e. if they identify that the non-autistic control group fall into the same 3 categories or if there's a '4th' group that can be labelled neurotypical? Who knows - if they identify that all autistic people fall into three groups, and many neurotypical people fall into the same 3 groups, but there is also a significant fourth group that ONLY applies to the neurotypical group they might find that the (neurotypical) fourth group is the one causing all the problems! :lol:

Anyhoo, all sounds very interesting.

L&P

BD

Sounds fascinating, but what about those autistic people who don't think in pictures?

Do you know if they're looking to see if 'verbal' thinkers think the opposite way round - i.e. 'object' words triggering 'action' thinking areas (I think! :wacko: )? And what about the 'pattern/mathematical' thinkers?

Be interesting too to see if there's a cross-over into the neurotypical study group - i.e. if they identify that the non-autistic control group fall into the same 3 categories or if there's a '4th' group that can be labelled neurotypical? Who knows - if they identify that all autistic people fall into three groups, and many neurotypical people fall into the same 3 groups, but there is also a significant fourth group that ONLY applies to the neurotypical group they might find that the (neurotypical) fourth group is the one causing all the problems! :lol:

Anyhoo, all sounds very interesting.

L&P

BD

Hehehe...I raised the notion of how synaesthesia might impact too...

Anyway, all research has to start somewhere, and this one wants to examine the assertion that people on the spectrum 'think in pictures'. I did point out that actually I don't particularly do so myself, although I would say I'm a visual thinker in that I need the visual to make certain abstract concepts concrete, so maybe that's the same thing... :devil:

Bid :)

If you need so see the words (i.e. in lists) does that make you a verbal or a visual thinker? :wacko:

they might find that the (neurotypical) fourth group is the one causing all the problems! :lol:

I thought the point of research was to find out things we didn't know... :whistle: I already know that us non-humans are soooo much more advanced, smart, and just generally better than you robotic socially constrained neurotypicals... :ph34r:

Hi Bid,

Sound interesting. How exactly do they distinguish "object" and "action" words? The same word could refer to an action or object depending on the context.

K x

How exactly do they distinguish "object" and "action" words? The same word could refer to an action or object depending on the context.

Trust the linguist... :whistle:

I assume they pick words that can only be one or the other. :)

Yep - a bit rusty nowadays though. :rolleyes:

But that's just the problem - words don't fit rigidly into just one category: take "cut" for example. It can be an action word- I cut myself or an object word - I have a cut on my finger.. Although some words will fall more naturally into either one of those categories, I can't think of any word which could only ever be one or the other - language isn't governed by prescriptive rules. I assume they don't just present the words in isolation but I'm interested to know what they do.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I can't think of any word which could only ever be one or the other - language isn't governed by prescriptive rules. I assume they don't just present the words in isolation but I'm interested to know what they do.

Okay, I might be about to really show myself up, but aren't words like: grow, swim, sing, add, skip, eat (as they are, not in different versions/with other endings) action words that do not work alone as object words? :unsure: There are no such objects as a grow, swim, sing.

Edited by Mumble

And there are very concrete nouns which can only be objects. 'Chair' is never going to be an action word for example.

'Chair' a meeting? :unsure: Hmm, maybe this is more complex than I first thought...

Trust the linguist... :whistle:

Not as far as I could throw one...

Oh, sorry, that wasn't a question!

By linguist (Bilinguist?) I didn't mean Kathryn BTW, she's more your pedant, I think: just likes to see it done proper, like :whistle: It effects her greatly if not just so :devil:

Baddad :P

See? it's impossible to come up with a word which can only ever be one or the other - language can always be manipulated.

Now everyone is going to try and prove me wrong, aren't they?! :lol:

{I'm really interested to know how more about how this research was conducted though, Bid - I'm not just trying to be a smartass. :) )

K x

They could use action words like running, swimming, they are never objects. Doesn't work with cutting though.

Hi Bid,

Sound interesting. How exactly do they distinguish "object" and "action" words? The same word could refer to an action or object depending on the context.

K x

OK, part of the research involved computer exercises where I had to categorise words as they were flashed up on the screen by pressing one button to indicate an 'object' word, and another to indicate an 'action' word. The interest would be to see if someone on the spectrum would interpret those words which could be either (e.g. 'cut') as an 'object' word more often than the NT volunteers.

The words ranged from concrete ones like 'cow' and 'sing' to those which could be interpreted either way.

I also had to do an exercise yesterday where I had to define a list of words, which again ranged from concrete ones like 'bird' to the more obscure like 'panacea'! I also had to list as many words as I could in a minute for each of 4 categories: animals, emotions, hand movements, fruit. And another verbal exercise where I had to explain why two words were in the same category, which again ranged from the easy (strawberry/banana) to the mind-boggling: war/peace; sit/running.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

The brain doesn't categorise words as either object or action using clear-cut divisions. The boundaries between them will be much fuzzier, so there will be a lot of words that activate both areas or regions near the boundary. The researchers will be looking for overall patterns, and comparing responses between groups.

cb

Ah well, I can only describe things as the researcher explained it to me, using a diagram of the brain to show me which areas are triggered by different kinds of words. I'm just glad I've taken part in some positive research that the researcher hopes will one day be used in conjunction with other research to help in the wider understanding of how people on the spectrum process language.

If anyone wants to contact the researcher for the academic details PM me.

Bid :wacko:

Edited by bid