Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

LA delaying meeting re proposed statement

We received proposed amended statement following Early Annual Review meeting (held in November) on 5 March. On 7 March I requested a meeting, as per the 15-day rule.

We have asked that, since the SEN officer who attended the November meeting has since left the service, someone else who was at that meeting attend this proposed meeting, ie the Autism Advisory Manager, who also suggested that the Autism Advisory Teacher attend too.

When we asked for the meeting, we said that our preference would be Thurs or Fri morning, since both of us work, but we would consider other dates if we could get time off.

Firstly the LA offered Fri 15 April, which is in the Easter holidays, and said this was the earliest date the Autism Advisory Team could make. The LA 'reminded' us that in any case the statement must be finalised by 29 April (8 weeks from the date of issue).

I replied saying sorry, no can't meet in school holidays with three autistic children, and that if it is a problem for everyone to meet then we would prefer just the Autism Advisory Manager, and that of course we can consider other days of the week.

The LA has come back today offering us a meeting on Tues 26 April at 4pm. I despair! I have emailed back saying no, we cannot meet at 4pm as can't bring three children with us. Also that is even later than the original date and that it is unreasonable to make us wait 7 weeks before they agree to meet us.

How do we stand legally? It seems the LA is delaying things enormously, but how can we stop them?

The Early Review itself was held at the LA's suggestion during a meeting at the end of last school year, because it seemed the placement may be breaking down.

I haven't been able to contact Ipsea, but wondered if this might be a case for a judicial review? :unsure:

Help appreciated!

Lizzie x

Edited by BusyLizzie100

when our SEN officer tried to stall meting us I just sent her two dates/times and asked her which one would suit her best. I reckon ifthey refuse to meet after you have suggested times, they'd be seriously wrongfooted at a tribunal if it comes to that.....