Sign in to follow this  
Dijac

Hello from France

Hi,

I have just joined this forum - I am english, but live in France. I have joined as my husband and I suspect that my 11 y.o son may have aspergers. He has always been 'different' but is very intelligent, so we have put it down to that.

The school won't get involved until he has a diagnosis but getting a dianosis is proving rather difficult. The psychology centre gave us an appt with a psych nurse - who told my son after 5 mins he didn't have aspergers and that his parents didn't know what they were talkign about. So that helped!! We asked to see a psych doctor, and they offered us an appointment in June - so I went to see the gp, who had never heard of Aspergers - but he did call the centre and get our appointment changed to April. So for now we just have to sit and wait till then.

He has been refusing to go to school, as he hates it - he was moved up a year as his grades were so good, but he has no friends, and says he is always on his own. So every morning is hard work getting him to go. He has then had a couple of panic attacks, so I get called to pick him up again.

The gp wanted him to join some sports clubs to make more friends, but he hates sport as he is no good at it. He did do music, but clashed with the piano teacher, and refused to do what she told him.

Even if it isn't aspergers, he is very unhappy right now and often talks about killing himself, or others (usually his little brother). Not a good way to be for an 11 year old.

Well it's midday, and no call from the school so far, so maybe today he'll be ok.

Edited by Dijac

Welcome to the forum Dijac. :)

We've had people from France on the forum before - it's interesting to hear about experiences in countries besides the UK where most of us are.

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I don't know anything about the process of diagnosis in France - it's not always straightforward in the UK either. I hope the appointment next month is productive and that you can get some support for your son. It must be a huge worry at the moment.

K x

Hello Dijac it was the AS diagnosis that stopped us as a family moving to France, I am sad about that, but not being a French speaker I could not imagine trying to cope! Hope to chat with you soon.

Hello Dijac it was the AS diagnosis that stopped us as a family moving to France, I am sad about that, but not being a French speaker I could not imagine trying to cope! Hope to chat with you soon.

Hi,

We have lived here for 7 years now, so my French isn't bad. I have ust found out there is an open day for Aspergers Lorrain group (I live in NE France) tomorrow, so I will go to that and see what info I can find. Although I guess until he is diagnosed, I can't do a lot.

I have to be a bit secretive, as my son hates me to talk about this - he says we think he is diseased. He has got a little bit better since I read somewhere that the inventor of Pokemon might have Aspergers. He does admit he feels different to the others. But he has ust managed a whole week without coming home sick from school, so that is good.

Speak to you soon,

Diane

Edited by Dijac