Sign in to follow this  
meandmygirls

Hi,

Hi,

I am a single mum to my 2 gorgeous girls aged 5 and 7. Both have Aspergers and dd1 also has dyspraxia. We are living in Ireland at the moment but may be moving to the UK. I'm going to have loads of questions for you all :D.

So glad I found this site.

i'm 21 year old A.S and dyspraxic female i was officially diagnosed with dyspraxia years before A.S i was diagnosed of Clumsy Child Syndrome ( dyspraxia) in childhood but was fight /battle to get the diagnosis thanks to my mum's persistence as my SENCO and paedtrician at junior's school didn't believe i had it! i was diagnosed with A.S years later on at 14 years old by C.A.M.H.S by clinical pyschologist and LD nurse.

XKX

Thanks for your reply.

Can I ask how you are doing now? I worry so much about the future for my girls. There seems to be so much info on boys with AS but not so much relating to girls and while I can see the similarities there are also areas where there are differences.

M

went mainstream school GCSE'S passed in the end experienced alot of anxiety panic over exam situation to the point of had to sit in another room with girl from my year as couldn't manahe and cope in room full of my year was overwhelming and completely stressful.

i then went onto mainstream college where i studied child care for 2 years and another course for one year in between and went back to child care course as needed a breather gap year some space time away due to MH issues wasn't coping well! i passed all 3 courses with distinction highest grade you can get!

the last course i did i did part of qualification due to stress and pressure of expectations of the course itself i did my own seperate work placement with no paperwork filling involved i volunteered at local nursery the boss there approached me one day asked me if i'd be interested being put on there bank staff list i agreed and have been working there part time ever since.

work colleagues are understanding and supportive are where pleseantly surprised and shocked when i plucked up courage to tell them i had A.S they said if i hadn't have told them they wouldn't have known! work gives me a purpose ,structure meaning to my life i get so much out of it! i enjoy what i do! and we have a laugh i feel part of a team gives me self esteem/confidence they also break down tasks into smaller easier chunks they do use alot of sarcasm there which found hard to adjust too ain't been easy! still isn't at times!

i get highly sensitive and emotional! especially with constuctive critism which found hard ro digest and swallow as find it personally attacking me my boss now understands why i struggle so bad with this that part of my condition that can't help it but get upset!

i found puberty hard going tough rough ride emotional with hormones raging emotional changes happening threw me into spiral of out of control confusion lost alone scared ....

A.S teens can find turmoil during this stage hits harder than 'norm' teen girl i find my depression gets 'worse' ( crying etc) during my time of the month my MH issues played up alot during this time .

i live at home with my parents and my twin (deafblind) brother ...

i hope i gave you bit of insight into how my life is! if want to know anymore about me and my life ... feel free to ask hope i've helped you in 'small way' anyway!

take care

good luck

XKX

P.S i forgot to add that i totally agree on what you say that because A.S is more common and seen as a male condition and recoginsed more in males that us girls seem to be 'left out in the cold' ....!!!

My link

this website to do with dyspraxia advice support etc!!!

with me personally i don't know where the dyspraxia begins and where A.S ends as very similiar conditions related and combine almost together alot of the time can be confusing pick out what if affecting what as dyspraxia as seen as mainly physical condition but is also has many other parts to it and is also a 'males condition' like A.S is!