Mandapanda

Oh dear, he needs glasses!

Hi

Aw has just been to the opticians (for the first time in 2 years :clap: ). He is becoming short sighted. His prescription is just at the level where they 'start giving glasses'.

However, he had glasses when he was little and hated them, particularly the nose rests. When we went to Avatar 3D he HATED the glasses and it spoiled the film for him. He is ultra-sensitive. He could even see the little tiny lines in the lenses of the 3D glasses!

He needs glasses only for distance - the optician said for the cinema, if he was learning to drive, but even for watching TV. I've been dreading this happening! He can probably manage without at the moment, but presumably his eyesight will gradually deteriorate over time.

We got him the most light and flexible frames to try on, but he just sat stony faced - he put them on and took them straight off saying he didn't like the nose rests. 'We' decided to go home and 'think about it' (the dispenser smiled and said Good Luck - she could see what was going on!) When we got home he said 'couldn't I just wait till I'm old enough and have that laser thing done'.

Arrrrrgh :wallbash:

Do you think he could handle contact lenses? I used to have monthly continuous wear ones which you literally put in your eyes and left in for a month before swapping them, so no cleaning or faffing with them.

Hi RainbowsButterflies

It has crossed my mind (I've been wearing contacts since I was 15), but I seriously doubt he would be able to cope with them. Apart from the sensory problems, he would probably be seriously anxious that they would disappear round the back of his eyes despite full explanations.

My daughter is very short sighted and has had glasses since she was 7 (she's 22 now). She went through months of not wanting to wear them and would not wear them to school as she was embarrassed. We moved away soon afterwards,and I insisted she wore them from her very first day at her new school so she would get used to them and others would get used to seeing her with glasses.

Recently she tried to get contact lenses and despite several appointments with the optician, she has not managed to put them in successfully and I think has given up on the idea - for the moment anyway.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

My son was also very resistant to the idea of wearing glasses and moaned about it hurting his nose, ears and side of his face! But we insisted, and over time he got used to them. Now I can't get him to take them off :rolleyes: But he was younger....

If he doesn't really need them yet, I wouldn't worry too much. His eyes may stabilise very quickly. Or, ifthey do deteriorate, he may decide that giving glasses a go is worth being able t see/stopping the headaches!

Or, if they stabilise, wait until he is old enough and get them lasered - it works out cheaper in the long run, and is sooooo much beter than glasses or contacts. I had mine done 20 years ago and was delighted. My eyes started deteriorating again a few years ago, and I'm trying to find out if I can get them done again....