Sign in to follow this  
Bloodheart

Clarification on ESA

I was forced onto ESA by the job centre last year (August) - I had NO IDEA about ESA so I didn't appeal when I was denied ESA, I went back on JSA.

Now people are telling me that I really should be on ESA after all - I'm still not sure on what being on ESA would mean, but people tell me that being on JSA is not suitable for me.

I AM capable of working, but I struggle to use a telephone so cannot make/accept calls from employers to arrange interviews, normal issues of stimming and issues with eye contact cause problems during interviews, I'm limited in what sort of jobs I can do and unsure how to apply for what jobs I am able to apply for - then there are non-AS problems like having been unemployed for 3+ years and no references. I just need support.

Since being unemployed I've had several issues with the job centre forcing me to apply for unsuitable jobs and using the asperger's problems against me to say I've not been looking for work or to deem me unsuitable for work - so I guess on ESA I'd at least not have to deal with the anxiety of dealing with job centre staff (I've already had one meltdown, and feel close to meltdowns every time I go to the job centre and for several days afterwards in some cases). I now have a disability adviser but he doesn't seem to know what asperger's is and after several months of seeing me he still hasn't asked what I am/am not capable of doing, he just goes through the normal job search with me like any other adviser, and he hasn't offered me any sort of support.

I know more and more is being taken away from benefits and services, would I be just as bad off on ESA, or would I get the support I need?

I keep hearing different things about ESA too;

1. You cannot reapply for ESA with the same medical condition - my disability adviser told me this, surely that can't be right?!

2. If I move in with someone else I lose all benefits - surely whether on JSA or ESA I still need to eat, pay rent, etc?

Anyone able to give any sort of clarification? Should I try reapplying for ESA?

I don't think you lose benefits if you moved in with someone to flatshare, but if you moved in with a partner then their income is taken into account.

If you manage to get on ESA it will likely be in the work related activity group, this group gets help to find work or education that they are able to do. I think they get more help than they would if on JSA B)

Once you have been assessed by ESA, you end up getting more money than you would on JSA. If you are on ESA, you don't get hassled to apply for lots/all sorts of jobs as you do on JSA. You can get help with "job skills", though we haven't found it very helpful so far.

You have to give lots of info with the ESA questionnaire (I think I sent in more than I did for DLA - probably because I had to keep repeating things), so they get a true picture of your difficulties. My son was put in the Work Related Activity Group.