Sign in to follow this  
Tez

Learning & Skills Council

My son's Deputy Head introduced me today to a former pupil of his with AS who had benefitted from his help and been down a similar course to my son. During the course of the conversation this boy told me that he was going onto a part Independent Part State Funded college for pupils with any type of disability or SEN. Because he hasn't got a statement of educational need and because he had to finance the residental and school fees himself he was introduced via Connexions to the Learning & Skills Council. They have given him a grant to fund the course and his residency (not sure if it fully covered all costs). Apparently they have to give preference to various disadvantaged groups who would otherwise find it difficult to access appropriate further education and pupils with autism fit this criteria. This pupil is very bright and is planning on studying for 5 "A" levels but the college caters for all needs.

HAs anyone else heard of this and has anyone any experience of it since we need to start thinking longer term and might be interested. Like Bid has said about her son's college, this boy just walked in and knew it was right for him. He stayed a night there to make sure but said he can't wait to start thetre.

Tez,

I think this might be what you are looking for.

Skill: National Bureau for Students With Disabilities. Skill is a national charity promoting opportunities for young people and adults with any kind of disability in post-16 education, training and employment across the UK.

http://www.skill.org.uk/

Funding can be accessed through Connexions.

If a child is registered disabled THAT is what helps more so than having a statement.

Nathan's college needs to be 52/52 as he always loses what he learns in holidays.

We are currently pushing for part payment between LSC; social services and health as nathan needs a multi-service approach they need to bicker out who is paying for what with Connexions acting as the ring leader pushing all three groups on his behalf.

Connexions wil also help parents and schools prepare a suportive arguement as to why a SPECIFIED NAMED college is suitable and Connexions can NAME the colleg not just the provision. Thats better than a statemnet where they simply list the needs and not name the provison unless made to.

You can begin to access Connexions from 14 years of age.

I would in all honesty advise parents to begin to look at colleges from 14 years. Most require you to fill in and send the forms at least a year in advance as places are limited for special colleges.

http://www.connexions.gov.uk/