leeds_demon

Being able to tell someone you love them

Hello,

I wonder if it's just me? When it comes to saying 'I love you', I don't actually mean it. For example, after my assessment at Sheffield (my mother ended up in tears) and when we were getting into the car, I told my parents that I loved them, but I felt as if I was going throught the motions so to speak.

It's like with my Ex. I told her that I loved her, when in fact I didn't really. I mean I liked her a lot, but I felt as if I had to tell her I loved her.

When it comes to other emotions, such as rage, happiness and sadness, I feel those emotions and experience them. But with the emotion of love for my family or the love for a partner, then I just don't feel it.

Is this just me, or are there any other Aspie women (and men) out there who are a bit like me, in being not able to feel the emotion of love?

mine at 11 says out of the blue often "i love you mum!" and he likes a hug and a kiss.He also has blows and says i hate you,not recently though and then it seems he regrets what he said and says i am sorry mum,i do love you.I am a bit like him as well and i find it hard to say to my loved ones i love them,because i said it once i think once is enough. I know he feels emotion because he displays it and so do i,we are very much the same i have never had a diagnosis,i just see myself in him . I feel emotions but i find it hard to display them like at my mums funeral, my sisters where going through loads of tissues but i have never cried for her dying, i miss her and i did feel emotion the last time i saw her alive and i knew she was near death. People with autism do have emotions but may not display it at the right times people expect them to

i really identify with what you're saying here. i can pin-point some moments in my life where i wish i could have showed some emotion..its not as if i dont care about people, but somehow the words/actions i think of seem empty.or maybe the emotional part of me is somewhere under a lot of barriers i've built in in my head. is "emotional blindness" a trait of AS? i dont know.

I'm the opposite in respect of significant others. If I fall in love with someone (that said there has only been one person, it's happened twice with a large intermission inbetween) I physically can't prevent myself from telling them. It started the downfall of and has nearly cost me the best friend (or at least the person I've most contected with) I've ever had and has definitely prevented us from ever reinitiating a relationship. I take the notion of loving someone very seriously and have in dealing with the immorality that is commonly displayed in the relationships held by others.

Lol I'm destined to remain in the anthropomorphic relationship I've developed with my computer Doropthy (yes the "p" is meant to be there)

*...seriously and have pronlems in dealing with...

Should clarify my comment in abstract is a problem with expressing my opinion regardless of whether or not the expression could be considered a faux pas. Not exclusive to love or any other emotion/view.

I find it difficult telling people that i love them, i cant physically get the words out to even my own mother. I dont know why it just seems weird and embarassing. I find it weird hugging people back, i dont mind being hugged so much by my mom or sister but i feel weird hugging them back, so most of the time i stand with my arms limp. I tell my cat i love him all the time though, but i guess thats because he doesnt speak back.