Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

Have learnt an important lesson!

This week we eventually got the final amended statement following the early review that took place in November.

The LA's delays have been appalling, with me having to prompt them every step of the way.

The final straw for me came when we eventually had a meeting in April about the proposed amended statement, with the SEN officer and the Visiting Autism Advisory Teacher and her boss - the latter both supported everything I was asking for, even adding points of their own. The SEN officer appeared to note everything we said. We felt the meeting had been a good one (a rare and unusual yet exciting experience!)

The newly amended proposed statement that we subsequently received included none of what had been agreed.

Backwards and forwards we went again, numerous emails and telephone calls, me tearing my hair out and saying 'fine, let's just appeal', until eventually the LA got it right.

the appalling thing is that everything that has been amended was gone through at that original meeting in November - why it had to take a further 6 months I really don't know. We weren't even asking for extra provision, just clarification.

I have learnt a very important lesson - I will NOT leave a review meeting in future without ensuring that every detail is recorded; if amendments are recommended, I will write them down then and there and get everyone to sign! Same for any other kind of meeting.

Lizzie x

I'm glad you've got it sorted eventually.

LAs know full well what they are doing. Any delay to providing things saves them money. That is often the long and short of it.

I'm glad you've got it sorted eventually.

LAs know full well what they are doing. Any delay to providing things saves them money. That is often the long and short of it.

In this case it wasn't about money at all, since we weren't even asking for any additional provision.

It was purely total incompetence. In bucketloads.

I wouldn't credit this particular team with having any idea whatsoever as to what they were doing. Total shambles.

But yes, it is sorted now. I give myself a big pat on the back!!!

Lizzie x

Give yourself several pats on the back! :thumbs::notworthy:

C0ck up rather than conspiracy, as you say, but both have the same effect. And less tenacious parents would not pursue it as far as you have - no wonder so many statements are not worth the paper they're written on. :wacko:

K x