Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Can a LA change named placement mid-appeal?

We are approaching out appeal date and the LA have said his previous school (mainstream with extra support) could meet his needs.

However the "return to school plan" includes going first into the Autism Unit before being gradually fed over to mainstream again. The EP service has asked me how I feel about the Autism Unit as a "placement" because they feel that there is one class in the Unit with a suitable peer group.

Obviously I have to visit the Unit and I told the EP service I did not think it suitable. The EP service kept pushing me to say what my Plan B was. They also asked if I would consider Home Education and when I refused they said "we can understand that as it takes a very strong person to be able to do that." Backhanded insult or what!

But the LA Appeal is currently mainstream with support. Could the LA change it at this late date to Autism Unit? No professional has recommended that.

Just wanted to add that the EP said that if asked she would say parental choice could meet my sons needs, but that she also felt a class in the autism unit could meet his needs as well.

But the school and the EP, OT, SALT did not identify that he needed an autism unit placement at the Annual Review or the Re-assessment. I feel the Unit is only being talked about because it is the next step up from mainstream. Won't the Panel see that for what it is ie. manoeuvring on the LA's part.