Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

DLA - New Info

I'm currently getting DLA HRC/LRM for my ASD but moreso for other multiple health conditions I have.

My award is due for renewal/review in January 2012.

I've just been diagnosed with a further medical condition which has very severe impacts on my life and can be life-threatening. I've been told I can claim DLA for this to help me cope with the impacts.

I'm in a quandary now. The DLA forms say to inform them of any changes. However, as I already get HRC, this wouldn't make any difference to my award. I'm scared though that they might review things and take away what I currently get (though nothing else has changed since my original application). However, if I don't tell them and wait till my renewal in January, will they say then, well why didn't you tell us this last May? :unsure:

If it's not going to affect what you would be entitled to, this website seems to suggest that you do not need to inform them of a new diagnosis, only of a change in actual needs: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Disabledpeople/DG_10012424

Do you now have increased mobility needs?

Or does this diagnosis provide evidence of higher mobility needs than you were able to document when you originally applied?

In any of these cases, you may be entitled to more. If you had a fairly clear-cut case when you first applied (ie. did not have to appeal the original decision) it's highly unlikely they would downgrade your award because of an additional diagnosis. I can't imagine they could penalise you for not telling them about increased needs until your renewal though. I don't think they would even compare to previous applications, it would take forever to do this for everyone!

You may be entitled to less if this diagnosis could lead to treatment that relieves some of your care or mobility needs, in which case you do need to inform them. But not right now, only if/once there are changes to your needs.

Thanks both :) - yes mine was 'clear cut' - or rather it was for the assessors and the people who support me who say I need this level of support. This only increases my level of 'need' and as there's no room for increase in care needs (doesn't affect mobility in any way that would apply to HRM, though helps me feel more justified about the LRM) probably not much point telling them, just keep documentation till my renewal.