darkshine

Differences

Male / Female Divide?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a ''divide'' in behaviours exhibited by males/females on the spectrum?

• YES
    • NO
    • UNDECIDED
  2. 2. If you think there is a divide, is it similar to the difference people joke/argue about for non-asd people?

• YES
    • NO
    • UNSURE
  3. 3. Why do divisions in perceived behaviour make a difference?

• THEY DON'T
    • BECAUSE PEOPLE ACT DIFFERENTLY TO MALE/FEMALE
    • IT CAUSES DISCRIMINATION
    • OTHER - EXPLAIN BELOW IF YOU WANT TO
  4. 4. Why do divisions occur?

• THEY DON'T
    • CULTURE/SOCIETY
    • EVOLUTION
    • HISTORY
    • OTHER - EXPLAIN BELOW IF YOU WANT TO

Here's an outline of the questions and a comment on each

I'm curious about what people think about gender differences in people with autism/on the spectrum, in terms of behaviours?

Over the years this has cropped up generally (in life and in the courses I do) and I wonder if people think that there are differences or not.

Also, over the past couple of years, I have stumbled across articles describing females with autism as being (please forgive the term I use next as I cannot think of another) more advanced, this was specifically in relation to social learning, and I wonder if this is people's experience, total hogwash, or maybe differences do occur?

If differences do occur, do they follow the kinds of perceived differences that occur between males and females whether 'NT' or not?

Think this one is pretty clear? Pure curiosity on my part.

Do divisions occur between males/females and does this make a difference in any way?

Since I haven't got a clue what people think (which is why I'm asking) I'll leave this without examples of what I think.

Why do these divisions occur?

Assuming they do, and you think they do too, there must be more imaginative answers than the options I thought of for the poll - these ones just seemed likely talking points to me.

:gather:

I've voted so you know what I think :D

Edited by darkshine

A fairly difficult subject matter to answer objectively. It would be unwise for me to vote in your poll, but I can use some of my own life experiences to hopefully go some way towards giving you some sort of answer.

I had a girlfriend about ten years ago who was dx'ed with Aspergers. It never dawned on me until it was suggested that I seek a dx just how similar in personality we actually were and why we were attracted to each other in the first place (and why, ultimately we were probably too alike for it to work well). The most striking similarities were things like having a young mindset but using mature language, the naivety and failure to "get" sarcasm, and the bullying we both had at our respective schools.

So in that respect, I think that there are very little differences, particularly where a similar degree of ASD is prevalent. As for intellect, my ex-girlfriend and myself were fairly evenly matched, save for an age difference which meant that she was slightly less world-wise than me.

A fairly difficult subject matter to answer objectively. It would be unwise for me to vote in your poll, but I can use some of my own life experiences to hopefully go some way towards giving you some sort of answer.

Thank you for replying Simon - I think I'm inclined to agree with you - maybe there isn't much difference - then again - maybe there is!

I'm not sure - like you I can only comment from experience, but not necessarily is my experience accurate...

Do I dare say?

No ;)