Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Money worries

We really are struggling financially. My husband is claiming job seekers allowance for both of us as he in unemployed so I culdn't get income support although I did try appliying for it. Job seekers also took off £50 a week as that was my income they said for claiming carers allowance so they get you in all ways. The job seekers is only a pityful £166 every 2 weeks which they expect you to live on :( Anyone know of any other way we could boost our income?

I think the best advice is to go to somewhere like Citizens Advice and get a benefits check and some advice.

I think income support should top up jobseekers allowance.

If one of you manages to find a job that is 16 hours a week or over, then you can claim working tax credit.

I'm not sure about Disability Living Allowance, now that Glen is residential? I don't know if that makes any difference as to who receives it.

If you have Disability Living Allowance you can claim Council Tax Benefit.

If you are claiming Working Tax Credit you can claim the disabled child/adult section. Again, I don't know if that changes if the child is not resident at home.

But before you change anything, go and see someone independent. Like everything else, you will not be told the best benefits, or combination of benefits to claim.

I also thought that carers allowance (like disability living allowance), was not included on means testing?? :unsure:

Now that Glenn has gone to residential, could you look for work yourself?

I was in a similar position when my DS went to residential school. I could only work part-time at the time due to littlies, and I found a job at a local residential special school, where I've worked ever since, full-time for the last 4 1/2 years. I was able to use all the experience I had gained from my own situation even though I hadn't worked for 12 years.

I know it's hard to feel confident after so many years as a carer, but you will have loads of transferable skills! What about looking at whatever you did originally (maybe you just need some up-dating training). Other good areas to look at, as I think they are very used to returning-to-work mums, and can offer flexible shifts if you want to go part-time at first, are supermarkets, and social care (although you may need a rest from that! ).

If you are very short of money, it might be good to take what you can, then look for something that suits better while you are earning and building up your skills and confidence again.

Good luck!! I know how overwhelming it can feel...somewhere in the dusty archives here is a thread of mine about the same thing...I remember I didn't even know what to wear for an interview!

Bid >:D<<'>

Hi I am looking for work although I also have health issues so I am looking at part time work: cleaning thats about all I could do, so far no joy so I guess I will have to contact the bigger cleaning agencies and hope to get some work from them.

Hi I am looking for work although I also have health issues so I am looking at part time work: cleaning thats about all I could do, so far no joy so I guess I will have to contact the bigger cleaning agencies and hope to get some work from them.

What about supermarkets if you fancied a change from cleaning, I think they are good for part-time shifts? Or special school as a TA? I'm sure other people will have more ideas.

Bid >:D<<'>

Great news going to see someone on Tuesday about some potential cleaning work, keep you fingers crossed for me! I've also got to call someone on Wednesday regarding some possible cleaning work so you never know.

Great news going to see someone on Tuesday about some potential cleaning work, keep you fingers crossed for me! I've also got to call someone on Wednesday regarding some possible cleaning work so you never know.

Hope it pans out (or dustpans and brushes out in this case!) :thumbs:

I don't know if you fancied working as a support worker or similar.

There are alot of agencies that are looking for people with experience of autism. But you may feel you want a break from this line of thing??

For example, my son goes out once a week with a lad paid for by aiming high. He is employed by Mediline. I don't know if they are based across the UK, or just the midlands.

They do train.

Can you drive?

It might involve going shopping with someone, or going to the park, or the cinema etc.

Thanks but I do want a break from this sort of thing to be honest but thanks for mentioning it. I am hopeful that something will come of my cleaning jobs, fingers crossed for next week.

Hi, I went to the interview for the cleaning job and am waiting to hear if I've got it but I don't feel very confident. I think the guy wanted me to do more than 2 days a week which I don't want to do. I already have 2 morning cleaning jobs and I will be visiting my son some weekends or he will come home once he's settled in so I'm only looking at 2 days a week cleaning. Oh well I do have someone else to call tomorrow and I've also sent off an application form to another cleaning company so you never know!

Anyway just thought I'd let you know.

The lady came to see me this morning and is able to offer some work, so it shouldn't be long before I'm up and running so to speak lol