Sign in to follow this  
atlantis

Hi :) new here and seeking friendly advice

Hi there,

I'm 20 and about to enter a diagnostic assessment for aspergers, although the advisor who referred me told me it's a pretty sure thing.

I'm quite scared about what the process will involve, does anyone have any experience of this that they could share?

I'm in a bad place right now, my boyfriend (who i've been with for 3 years, and living with for 2) just left me because he didn't want to have to support me through the assessment, and I'm faced with living on my own for the first time. Also, I'm a student and my term just ended, so I have 4 months ahead without any daily structure, which is something I cling to.

Has anyone been in a similar position, or could you offer advice on how to cope with the transition?

Thanks x

how about making up a timetable of each day which give you routine of stuff you like to do? i'm 21 year old female i was officially assessed and diagnosed in my early teens years! i'm sorry your boyfriend just left sounds like you could do without him up and leaving but if can't support you when you really NEED him then maybe however hard and difficult to come terms with situation better turned out this way! as relationship you stick by eachother in times where you need to lean on eachother he can't manage the relationship commitments so you can focus more on what YOU NEED to right now trying get your head the assessment / diagnosis process

i hope everything sorts it self out works out itself

XKLX

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you're going through so much at the same time. It must be really tough.

Smiley's idea of a timetable is a really good one :thumbs: It could also serve as a reminder of positive things to look forward to.

Have you looked around for any local social groups for adults with Asperger's, or a club or class associated with one of your interests? It could give you some structure to your week and a bit of a social outlet.

I was diagnosed with AS about 4 years ago. There are several different methods they can use to diagnose, so it's impossible to give specifics, but they all generally involve talking to you, noting down symptoms you report and assessing the way you respond. Sometimes they can want you to do some tasks that will be like games, and occasionally some written questionnaires too. They can also use information collected from other professionals as well. They may do the whole assessment in one appointment, or it may be spread out over several appointments. Sometimes they will tell you right away what your diagnosis is. Other times they may want to go away and collate the results and let you know later. You can always ask when you will hear. Try not to worry too much about it, as it's their job to guide you through it all to make sure they get the right information. You can always make some notes if there is anything you especially want to mention, but don't take a whole essay!

Thanks for your replies!

That makes the assessment sound like its not going to be so bad.

As far as making a timetable, that sounds like a good idea :) now the question is just what I’ll fill it with!

And I like the idea of taking notes with me to the assessment- I always find it hard to communicate under white-coat conditions and forget what to say, or miss things out.

I’ve decided to go back and live with my parents for a while- even though I find that difficult at least I’ll have someone there. But as they live in a relatively rural area I doubt there will be a group I can contact :(

i think good idea to go back with your parents while going through this process harder going through it aalone without any support around you you going to need all support you can they also may be albe to help give more information /details which go towards assessment such as how you found school, what you found difficult/struggle to manage as a child, whether you had many friends etc they could help find 'more signs' as for timetable idea i mentioned what kind of things interest you hobby wise? or ask your parents family friend/s if they have any ideas how you can keep yourself busy active during your term ending and finding something fill your routine keep structure fixed?

XKLX

Hi atlantis (are you feeling lost :whistle: )

Welcome, I'm sure you will find plenty of friendly advice and more importantly moral support here. The suggestions above are excellent.

Good luck with everything, keep us posted :)