Sign in to follow this  
Emma80

Really need help and advice

My youngest son who is almost 7 has been having difficulties for a while, he tantrums everyday most of the day, hits, nips, kicks, says he hates us, doesn't like noise especially birthday parties (he won't join in). I took him to one the other day, all things went well in the play area until it came to the party room, he ran off wouldn't sit and eat with them so the mum of the birthday boy who knows we have problems with him brought his food out of the room and put it on a table where i was sat, eventually he came and sat down after a bit of sobbing and saying he wanted to go home. He sat with his big brother and ate a bit, then a few of the children left the party room and he said he wanted to go in and eat, so i took him in and he got a bit agitated. He said "I only want to sit where there is something blue" so we let him choose where to sit and he sat where there was a blue cup, he calmed down put all his things in a line and ate, smiled and even stayed while they sang happy birthday Surprised smile

Had a bit of a job with him on the way home and at home, he's kicked, nipped, refused to go to bed so I gently calmed him down and had to lay with him until he fell asleep. He fell asleep holding my hand tightly.

He also has balance problems,speech problems, is obsessed with computer games and gets angry about going to school.

His teacher said he's just immature. One of the boys in my sons class told my older son he didn't want to play with my younger son because he cries all the time in class (teacher has said he's fine in class so I don't know whats going on).

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

all problems you have mentioned in your post about your son are common issues in ASD like obsessive about computers people noticing immaturity like teachers balance,speech probs also! your son probably gets angry with going to school as he faced with frustration over what's going on his world/life must be confusing for him too! the noise issue common factor ( sensory issues) mostly do with noise in A.S.D him saying he only wants sit somewhere that blue some ASD child/adult come fixated with colour and only do it if that colour if any other colour woun't sit on it or eat the food etc

not always but alot of the warning signs are pointing in direction of an A.S.D.... i would check it out as highly possible .... has school got Ed paedtrician or SENCO who could assess him further at school? i would also go to GP and take the list of issues with your son with you and get them refer you for an assessment for A.S.D you looking in right path/direction from my P.O.V anyways!

the earlier you get the 'answer' of the diagnosis the better the outcome in support etc

good luck

take care

XKLX

is putting things in a line normal for your son this like an A.S.D /O.C.D type behaviour related to A.S.D though! has he got balance ,motor skills probs,co-ordination aswell as balance probs? does he tripped over alot? forgets things when just said them? disorganised? struggles doing physical activities? ( e.g using knife and fork, tying shoe laces , doesn't know left from right?

XKLX

Thanx for your replies.

He does fall over alot and bump into things. He does line things up at times, he struggles with physical activities and only managed to dress himself 2yrs ago and still struggles a bit. I have to tell him the parts of his body to wash at bath time otherwise he just sits there splashing and playing. One thing i've noticed too and it may be nothing but he gets very confused, he'll sometimes call me grandma and sometimes he'll call my parents mum or dad and he'll sometimes call his daddy, grandad (if you know what I mean). He corrects himself but i just thought it was strange.

He does forget things, he told me he didn't want to do something so I told school and when he came out of school he blamed me and said i had said he couldn't do it. He argued, got angry and wouldn't listen.

He's been to see a community paediatrician and she is referring him to an occupational therapist. The community paed said it could just be frustration with his speech and balance/co-ordination problems. The thing is I'm not convinced it is I think there is something more to it.

i would say highly possible likelyhood present of dyspraxia traits there ( balance /co-ordination ,memory probs , etc) dyspraxia more common in boys and also what you explained fits neatly with traits of it i had OT in juniors school because of balance /ordination probs got me practising on these weakened skills to slowly over time improve them and gradually get better also being clumsy is classic trait tripping over anything and everything and get muddled over which way speech and language go in what order is also common thing seen too! i used say saw as was and was as saw etc

but he could have co-morbid condition seperate but alongside attached such as A.S.D it isn't usual so he could have both present! just be prepared for anything keep an open mind that's for sure! i would mention dyspraxia aswell as A.S.D to the OT as comm. paed don't seem helpful at all! and conditions can overlap into eachother alot of time!

Edited by smiley1590

hope these links help with information on dyspraxia to look into further and research more!!! good luck!

http://www.dyslexiaa2z.com/learning_difficulties/dyspraxia/dyspraxia_childrens_checklist.html

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/services/gu_symptoms.php

go on NHS choices type in search box 'dyspraxia' should get symptoms ,causes,diagnosis and treatment more information on each and an intro to what the condition is too! the link won't let me copy and paste it onto here sorry!

Edited by smiley1590

One thing i forgot to ask, will I be able to speak to the Occupational therapist about my concerns for Aspergers etc? I wasn't sure what they can help us with and everyone I seem to talk to like school, GP, Comm. Paed etc just aren't listening.

Thanx again.