merman

Disastrous Doctors appointment

I psyched myself up to actually ask for help with diagnosing Aspergers. I decided to come out with it rather than spout symptoms and hoping he would mention it. I was in the waiting for so long because of delays I bottled it. Sat down and mentioned changing my antidepressants (which I do want to do) went into a chat about that and my counselling - not really listening due to worrying about mentioning AS. I blurted it out halfway through a sentence and when asked why I thought I had it - my mind went totally blank I couldn't think of a single reason (My mind shuts down under pressure). The doctor was less than helpful and made me feel like I was wasting his time - frankly I couldn't wait to get out of there.

I psyched myself up to actually ask for help with diagnosing Aspergers. I decided to come out with it rather than spout symptoms and hoping he would mention it. I was in the waiting for so long because of delays I bottled it. Sat down and mentioned changing my antidepressants (which I do want to do) went into a chat about that and my counselling - not really listening due to worrying about mentioning AS. I blurted it out halfway through a sentence and when asked why I thought I had it - my mind went totally blank I couldn't think of a single reason (My mind shuts down under pressure). The doctor was less than helpful and made me feel like I was wasting his time - frankly I couldn't wait to get out of there.

one of the problems with asd is that if you have whats called high functioning autisim its very easy to get labelled by the unknowing gps as a depression/anxiety case.The usual routine is they start prescribing poison like seroxat(cheap nasty low quality prozac)or amytripteline and start treatind you as a depression/anxiety disorder.Them pills are a short term help but are used to control symptoms,not to treat you.Many gps mean well when prescribinmg these drugs for apparent anxiety/depression but are handicapped by a near complete ignorance of asd,particulary High functioning type.

I've been on anti-depressants since 2005

I don't know where to turn next actually - he told me to lower my venlafaxine dosage gradually from 300 mg - 150g - 75g over the next 5 weeks and go back. He was a temp and I'd never seen him before which put me off slightly....his opening question was "do you like Star Trek" as apparently people with Asp do!!???? Anyway, I have a counsellor I see every fortnight. I'm going to mention it to her and print off a list of the symptoms I seem to have. The problem is I feel I'm being a bit of an attention seeker after this appointment.

Edited by merman

I blurted it out halfway through a sentence and when asked why I thought I had it - my mind went totally blank I couldn't think of a single reason (My mind shuts down under pressure). The doctor was less than helpful and made me feel like I was wasting his time - frankly I couldn't wait to get out of there.

I'm going to mention it to her and print off a list of the symptoms I seem to have. The problem is I feel I'm being a bit of an attention seeker after this appointment.

My mind also shuts down under pressure - I'll go from having clear thoughts and knowing exactly what I want to say, and turn into a drivelling wreck when I have the chance to speak :wallbash:

People say to write things down. I'm not sure this works for me, it comes across as flat if I read it and you can't always tell if they are reading it properly. Still, its better than nothing :P

Maybe going back to the GP's and seeing either your doctor or one that is based there would be better than seeing a temp? Like having a second try, so the first one went badly, but you have learnt something important - don't bring AS diagnosis up in the middle of a sentence about something else (even if the other things are important too), GP's seem to deal best with one thing at a time especially something like this, and write some things down.

Good luck

Just a thought...is there anyone who can go with you when you see the GP again? If your mind is likely to go blank then they might be able to prompt you. I'm big on lists myself but the GP may not take the time to read a whole list of 'symptoms' unless you are very succinct and just put down the main problems you have day-to-day. You could maybe use those bullet points as a way to underline what you are saying. Unfortunately, my GP took one look at me and diagnosed me herself when I went to the surgery to request an assessment so I do sympathise with you!