Sign in to follow this  
blm

Lack of comprehension with reading (6 year old)

Hey everyone, just a quicky but there are many things which lead me to beleive my son has aspergers/autism but I have just been told by the teacher that he isn't able to be put higher on his reading (despite being able to read harder words) because he is really struggling with comprehension of the books - could this be linked to aspergers in some way? Many thanks

my ASD 11 year old son has difficulites with comprehension of language and words,his homework is a struggle because he finds imagining what to do with the words he spells and how to use them hard.He reads very well,but can't write stories for himself.

I was told by an Ed Psych when my son was about 7 that he would be able to read words but never understand what they meant. He is now 16 and with a lot of work and perseverence he can understand what he is reading. I am not sure if it is connected to his ASD as he also has learning difficulties. He is by no means at the same level as his NT peers but he gets by. We found if he is interested in what he reads it helps. Football and biographies are his thing, Match of the Day magazine, Sky Sports News, Who was series etc. Also school found he came on really well when he started reading the Wellington Square books. I don't know how they are different but apparently children who struggle to read find these better. He certainly did. Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't be more specific re ASD.

To be honest I would not on its own link lack of comprehension in a 6 year old with Aspergers.

Many young children can read beyond their understanding.

Its is not uncommon for parent to feel, because of the way reading ability is measured in schools, that their child can read better than the school says.

Having said that, from my experience, limited as it is, it is a problem (Lock of comprehension of the written word) that some people with ASD have.

As has been said, comprehension is often linked to interest of a subject.