Sign in to follow this  
Amanda32

intra-uterine growth retardation

Hi everyone sorry not been on much but been busy with work and doing work on the house, amongst the computer crashing a number of times and doing our heads in trying to fix the problems. Ive been having a sort out and found a letter to do with my son, it's the Mental Developmental Scales to see where he's at. It was from a few years ago but never asked what things meant to be honest. It says sub-glottal stenosis

I guess that was to do with the op he had...reconstruction on his trachae..... :unsure: He is considered to have had intra-uterine growth retardation in which this is what im stuck on. I wish the doctors etc would put things down more clearly so we could understand. If anyone can tell me it would be appreciated as im going through his notes since birth.

Many thanks

Amanda :thumbs:>:D<<'>

Edited by Amanda32

Growth of the baby whilst you were pregnant. 'Small for dates' babies. Any full term baby under 2500g at birth gets a question mark over its development. My son was 50g over.

It refers to a period of time where a baby did not grow as expected in utero.

Some babies cease to grow and need to be delivered early ; others hang on with sparadoic fits and starts.

Some have a period where they apear to be slowing down then begin again.

Jo had a period of IUGR between 30-33/40 but then went on to be 6lb 7oz (about 3.150kg)

Annie *shudders with bad memories* was thought to be 37/40 based on her size when she was delivered by C/sec turned out she was 42/40. She was hanging on at nearly 5lb then added severe failure to thrive to IUGR and dropped to 3lb and no one though she would live.

Annie subsisted below the 0.3 centile for months and it took till she was one to reach just over 10lb.

If a baby is known to have had a period of IUGR its an alert to the peads' to be extra viglant at the at birth and the neo-natal check up.

If any have the sort of problems that Annie had they can be picked up fast and assesed for what is wrong and why and try to provide intervention to preserve a life.

If you have concerns why not write to the hospital he was born at and ask if they could make time to explain his notes to you as you are trying to make sense of what happened at a time you struggled to take things in.

I know when Annie was looking like a cross between a starved child and Gandhi the last thing I could do was take info in well; it was all I could do to keep up with the feeding regime of two hourly feeds of expressed milk mixed with maxijul and topped up with pepti-junior with a very tiny little scare-crow of a baby on almost permanant kangaroo care whilst caring for three asd kids and one of those was Sam at his ADHD worse.

IUGR babies tend to be smaller due to a less good supply from the placenta during pregnacy. This usually means that food is diverted to the most important place the head and brain, so these babies have normal sized heads but smaller bodies. However small for dates babies tend to be uniformly small Both usually catch up after birth.

My second (nt) child was small when born but born at 34 weeks, whereas my as son was 6lbs 130z and born at 38 weeks.

That is true.

Annie fooled the scans because her problem had reached the point that her head was also very small.

She was a little buddle of stick like limbs, bony feet and even her face you could see the outlines of all her bones on her face and head.

It meant she had trouble keeping warm and was quickly exhausted if she cried or was left on her own for any period of time. Hence almost 24/7 kangaroo care.

I know our family has a lousy selection box of ASD and related difficulties but I do wonder if thats why she has so many problems with learning at school (and just when I thoght she had got away with it too) and has such poor baby teeth.

IUGR has a long term can have an impact on health beyond the first few months of life.