Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Strike?

Can someone tell me what's happening and what to expect on Thursday please? This all seemed to develop whilst I was in hospital and I'm not sure what's happening. I know schools will be on strike but who else is included? Will transport run? Are emergency services running? Are hospitals open? Are shops open? Will there be post? :unsure: Sorry if it's obvious common knowledge - feel I've missed a big chunk of the news!! :rolleyes:

I think it's just a teachers strike Mumble, to do with their pensions - and not even all teachers will strike. There's only one teacher in my sons school striking, so that class will not go into school that day. My friend had 3 out of her 4 kids off school - the one that has to go in is not best impressed haha

Lynne

Edited by Lynden

There have been two separate strikes mentioned, which might explain your confusion.

The Tube drivers' strike has been called off.

I think it's just teachers who are striking.

I think it's just teachers who are striking.

Most of Ben's are pug-fuggly! :whistle:

they are not really - I just didn't want to pass up the opportunity for a joke...

He has, however got an extra day off this week. As you can well imagine, he is very cut up about it! :lol::lol:

Not sure about the ins and outs of this because I don't really do the news, but in general terms I think anything that might help redress the balance in the insane disparity between the haves and the have nots in this country has got to be a good thing. Sadly, I can't see a one day strike or anything else for that matter making much difference in the this political climate can you? Can't see that top ten percent of big fat piggies moving over to make some room at the trough for any scrawny ol' chickens like us in the near future... But come the revolution we'll all be eating bacon, my friends, oh yes... :eat:

L&P

BD

The NUT (national union of teachers), ATL (asoc of teachers & lecturers) and PCS (Public & Commercial Services) are on strike on Thurs - that is a lot of the teachers (especially for older children), plus some civil servants, specifically in the DWP, Transport and Justice Depts (job centres, court staff, prison warders (although they are not allowed to strike), air traffic controllers etc, but NOT local authority staff, train/Bus drivers, or NHS staff.

So there wll be some disruption in some places, but it's not a general strike by any means.

The NASUWT (other teaching union), Headteachers Union and Unison (all support staff, most local authority and NHS) are all due to ballottlater in the year and may well co-ordinate further strike action....