We've had an incident this evening. It started something like this...

E - I want some chocolate

Me - No, you have to eat your dinner first

E - I don't like you. I'm running away.

Me - OK then.

E - I'm running away and I'm never coming back.

Me - OK.

E - I'm going to the shop.

Me - Bye bye.

DH and I were doing various things, DS was eating his tea (DD was eating with us). About 5 minutes later DH asked if I had seen her, so I had to go out looking. She had actually gone to the shop - which is three streets away and across a road!

We've had an incident this evening. It started something like this...

E - I want some chocolate

Me - No, you have to eat your dinner first

E - I don't like you. I'm running away.

Me - OK then.

E - I'm running away and I'm never coming back.

Me - OK.

E - I'm going to the shop.

Me - Bye bye.

DH and I were doing various things, DS was eating his tea (DD was eating with us). About 5 minutes later DH asked if I had seen her, so I had to go out looking. She had actually gone to the shop - which is three streets away and across a road!

I hope she didn't get any chocolate... I'd say that deserves a three day chocolate ban at least and an early night. That way she'll be sitting in bed thinking 'lesson learnt' :D

L&P

BD

Daddy was going to give her some as she had been promised some after tea - I said no chance! She went to bed at her normal time because it was too late for an early night.

Do you think she is old enough at 3 to understand discipline over a period of days?

Blimy, at 3, that is scary, anything could have happened, better lock doors in future!! Think you def did the right thing re chocolate tho. x

Daddy was going to give her some as she had been promised some after tea - I said no chance! She went to bed at her normal time because it was too late for an early night.

Do you think she is old enough at 3 to understand discipline over a period of days?

No, I was joking about the three day ban! I actually just popped back into the thread as I realised that might not have been as obvious as I thought. Definitely right about the one evening ban, though, and an early night would have been a good reinforcer for it :D

What you definitely wanted to achieve was her thinking 'I won't try that again', and three year olds are capable, in their own words, of thinking that... she might need to go through the process a few more times, but she'll defintely get there, and the conversation you had before theincident shows the processing isn't in any way beyond her.

Big :thumbs: to you, and a big :shame: to daddy!

L&P

BD :D

Oh PS: answering your question more seriously, I do think at three, depending on the kid they are able to start 'intellectualising and projecting' over longer periods... I think for sanctions you're better off with immediate/same day, but certainly you can start building on the developing i&e skills with reward systems like star charts and stuff. A child who can be excited/looking forward to i.e. christmas or a birthday party is capable of looking forward to a 'reward' when he/she has made his/her three stars on the star chart into five or whatever... yours sounds like one smart cookie from that exchange you had tonight, so i'd be amazed if you weren't already at a place to start building from.

:D

Edited by baddad