Howlin Mad

Tjena!

Greetings and salutations!!

I'm 20 from Yorkshire, and I've not been diagnosed with ASD. I'm still at home with my parents, and the way it's looking, I'll be here a good few more years. I'm all set up to see some doctor in September, and I don't know what it's going to be like, because I'm not exactly a child, and I'm always afraid that if I ever tell anyone what's going through my mind, they won't believe me. Not exactly, HAH! I still play with toys and teddies and make that little hot wheels cars go on epic adventures round the house.

I joined simply for solidarity. You know, the weirdest things can be going on in your head, but knowing someone else is experiancing the same thing makes it easier to cope with.

H.M

I still play with toys and teddies and make that little hot wheels cars go on epic adventures round the house.

Hello,

Do you find that hard to admit to? even on here?

Sorry if that's blunt, its just that I was talking about this kind of thing a little while ago (behaviours that are not viewed as "normal" by some people) and your hello, just reminded me of it :)

I like many strange things - except they are only strange according to other people - which then makes me feel self-conscious... which is why I asked my blunt question - cuz there's A LOT of things I don't do because of the social gaze and judgements of others :D

I don't play with hot wheels - I like little VW camper vans and VW beetles - but mine just sit in a box in the loft bored all day and don't get to have any adventures at all!!!

;)

I joined simply for solidarity. You know, the weirdest things can be going on in your head, but knowing someone else is experiancing the same thing makes it easier to cope with.

Your right, sometimes it does (doesn't always for me) but for a lot of people it seems to be a comfort.

Hope you feel welcome here

Best

Darkshine

Do you find that hard to admit to? even on here?

Not at all. One of those things, come to think of it, I shouldn't really tell others so easily?

Sometimes I get weird looks because I have my own made up writing, or because I speak a few words of Elvish (form LotR). I find that kind of thing impressive, so I never think maybe I shouldn't tell everyone. Probably the oddest thing I do is roleplaying by myself. Used to do it with my friends and my brother, but they all sorta grew out of it.

Do you stop mentioning things you do or like to others because of what they think?

I only worry of what others think when doing something that is "normal" to them. If it's usual for me, I couldn't care, because it my thing, it makes me so happy, and they can sod off.

Edited by Howlin Mad

Our house has quite a range of cuddly soft toys around considering the occupants are all aged over 50. I have a thriving model railway, and am thinking of reconstructing my childhood collection of 1:1200 model ships, unimaginatively disposed of years ago by my father, who had a big thing about 'growing up'.

I tend not to say aloud everything I think, because this might negatively affect my work and social context (I'm a Vicar). I guess I'm more likely to say what I think than others are thoughn- I don't suppose it has done my 'career' much good. Although my dad was quite grown up by the time he died aged 98, he retained an inappropriate sense of humour all his life!

Anyway, welcome!

Our house has quite a range of cuddly soft toys around considering the occupants are all aged over 50. I have a thriving model railway, and am thinking of reconstructing my childhood collection of 1:1200 model ships, unimaginatively disposed of years ago by my father, who had a big thing about 'growing up'.

I tend not to say aloud everything I think, because this might negatively affect my work and social context (I'm a Vicar). I guess I'm more likely to say what I think than others are thoughn- I don't suppose it has done my 'career' much good. Although my dad was quite grown up by the time he died aged 98, he retained an inappropriate sense of humour all his life!

Anyway, welcome!

Haha yes vicars are famous for their model trains and boats. Or the real thing as Eric Tracy so famously showed.

It's been well known for years that Hornby's best market is men aged around 50 buying for themselves. Personally I'm a huge fan of O gauge live steam, but that needs a garden which I don't have.

One day I'm going to have my own steam launch that can run on driftwood and seawater - but that's a few years away !

Not at all. One of those things, come to think of it, I shouldn't really tell others so easily?

Sometimes I get weird looks because I have my own made up writing, or because I speak a few words of Elvish (form LotR). I find that kind of thing impressive, so I never think maybe I shouldn't tell everyone. Probably the oddest thing I do is roleplaying by myself. Used to do it with my friends and my brother, but they all sorta grew out of it.

Do you stop mentioning things you do or like to others because of what they think?

I only worry of what others think when doing something that is "normal" to them. If it's usual for me, I couldn't care, because it my thing, it makes me so happy, and they can sod off.

Hello HM, and thank you for not being insulted by my question.

I don't know if it is right to tell people things or not and I definitely would not advise living in shame of things like I do!!!! If you enjoy it and are proud of that or don't care what people think then thats a healthy attitude I think, if something isn't causing anyone any harm then why should it matter? (it does to me, but in theory I think that what I said could be true)

The thing you said about role-play and people growing out of it? Well my experience of life is that people often grow out of everything I like, but then, sometimes I come across people who say they life something and it always surprises me that I'm not the only one!!!!

I do stop mentioning things to people because of what they think cuz I can feel the scorn and contempt of their thoughts even when they don't say anything... I'm over-sensitive a lot of the time!!! And I worry about the "normal" things as much as the "abnormal" (for want of a better word - cuz it seems like abnormal may be more normal than normal sometimes :rolleyes:

I have a thriving model railway, and am thinking of reconstructing my childhood collection of 1:1200 model ships, unimaginatively disposed of years ago by my father, who had a big thing about 'growing up'.

My dad did something like this when I was about 7 and he convinced me to burn a lot of my favourite toys BUT he didn't stop when I changed my mind and he burnt my best friend (a cuddly toy)!!!!!

:angry::lol:

Haha yes vicars are famous for their model trains and boats. Or the real thing as Eric Tracy so famously showed.

It's been well known for years that Hornby's best market is men aged around 50 buying for themselves. Personally I'm a huge fan of O gauge live steam, but that needs a garden which I don't have.

One day I'm going to have my own steam launch that can run on driftwood and seawater - but that's a few years away !

Vicars like trains because they tend to be the only things in the parish that move without you having to push them! :party: I've lived in silly little modern houses for some years now, so N gauge is the best I can get away with!

he burnt my best friend (a cuddly toy)!!!!!

[/i] :angry::lol:

Oh no, my youngest son will be saying much the same thing when he's your age - we took his favourite cuddly toy away when he was being (we thought) extremely naughty. It was like he was bereaved for years. We had NO IDEA what we were doing or what effect it would have (or why he was behaving the way he was), and wish we could turn the clock back.

I'm 20 from Yorkshire, and I've not been diagnosed with ASD. I'm still at home with my parents, and the way it's looking, I'll be here a good few more years. I'm all set up to see some doctor in September, and I don't know what it's going to be like, because I'm not exactly a child, and I'm always afraid that if I ever tell anyone what's going through my mind, they won't believe me. Not exactly, HAH! I still play with toys and teddies and make that little hot wheels cars go on epic adventures round the house.

Howlin Mad: I would imagine if you see a professional who is aware of ASDs they would not be at all surprised by your interests. Is ASD suspected or is it something you have come across information on which you recognise as being like you?

Oh no, my youngest son will be saying much the same thing when he's your age - we took his favourite cuddly toy away when he was being (we thought) extremely naughty. It was like he was bereaved for years. We had NO IDEA what we were doing or what effect it would have (or why he was behaving the way he was), and wish we could turn the clock back.

The really silly thing is that it bothered me until I was about 18 - I'd still have moments where I'd remember and cry about it :rolleyes: I get well too attached to inanimate objects and really struggle with letting things go. I am currently starting a massive clear out and even throwing away things like patterned paper, notes, birthday cards, scraps of paper, intriguing yet useless objects (that might be of some use one day!!!) is really really difficult - I've thrown away 3 big binliners full of stuff away and 2 big boxes of recyclables :( I regret getting rid of some things already but I know I have to keep going cuz this stuff is EVERYWHERE - I estimate that I need to get rid of another 20 binliners of stuff (whether that's for the bin, recycling or charity) its so so hard :lol: