Sign in to follow this  
Howlin Mad

Working Hard

Does anyone find they have to work a lot harder at some things that others find easy, taking longer to accomplish some tasks, and then get criticised for "time wasting" or not putting in enough effort??

I am constantly being told I failed my A-levels because I did not work at it. My brother failed because he didn't work, I had several folders for a single subject filled with notes, work sheets, research, information and projects, I put in so much work, but for each thing we were always told to "read around the subject" or some thing to that effect, and I did just that, all that work put into the wrong areas, and I failed the exams.

Two words to summarise this

"Practice papers"

You must practice aswering exam questions under exam conditions. Doing well in the exam is a skill by itself independent of the knowledge you have. At university I was able to study just 30% of the syllabus and get 60% in the exams by reviewing 5 years worth of previous papers, seeing what topics came up and writing full answers.

I learned a lot from the Dyslexia Unit at my University. My Master Stroke was to boil down a year's notes on a subject into two postcard sides of 'prompts' on the subjects. I learned them, and got a First!

Two words to summarise this

"Practice papers"

Beside the point. The exams themselves are another complication entirely. My parents must have known I was working myself stupid, but they still make me feel like ###### now. I wasn't lazy at all, I just got the wrong idea in the assignments.

Re: exams. With my A-levels, I just didn't revise - I wasn't motivated and I found revising quite boring. However, for my university Finals, I didn't revise Health Policy of Comparative Health Policy and yet I gained 2:1s in both subjects - I was doin a BA (Hons) Combined Studies, which involved studying 5 subjects. In my other 3 subjects, I gained 2:2s, which meant I gained an overall 2:2.

I find that I can't get motivated all that easily, but when I do take up something, I get easily bored, or overwhelmed that I give up easily.