Sign in to follow this  
witsend

consultant appointment looming

Got an appointment with sons consultant on Friday, this is to discuss the SALT assessment re semantic pragmatic disorder also recent OT/physio assessment. Last time we saw cons I raised subject of ASD and now having done my research as advised have to give my opinion as to wether son has is AS. Don't really know why but I am sooo nervous. Most of the time I'm sure son is somewhere 'on the spectrum' but typically this last week he has been quite NT!! I'm just dreading the cons not taking me seriously also from what I've read SPD and ASD are pretty inseperable but I get the idea cons doesn't take that view, so feel like I'm really going to have to argue my case (again!) not feeling particularly strong at mo (divorce stuff etc) and am scared I will not be able to present a 'good enough' case. Just wish you lot could come with me for moral support - so if anyones not busy friday??!! Anyway won't rant on just wanted to get it off my chest - wish me luck - Witsend.

I hope it all goes well tomorrow

Have you written down a list of points you want to make so you don't forget things?

try writing a list of odd or unusual behaviours and obsessions your son has had from early childhood - either to give to the consultant or to refer to as you talk - examples very often fly from our thoughts when we're under pressure.

stay strong

Zemanski

Thanks Zemanski - I'm going to write my list etc tonight and have spoken to NAS adviser today who has been helpful so am feeling fairly well prepared. Just have to wait and see what happens next.

Hi Witsend,

Just wanted to say Good Luck for tomorrow.

The list thing really does work. I use to forget so much in meetings till someone in the forum kindly advised me to use them. Now the professionals groan when I enter the room with my oh so long list, dangerling around my ankles - but hey it works.

Regards, Tizz

hello witsend

i also get nervous at these kind of appointments but i try to remember we know our children better than they do,we are the experts on our kids,i hope it goes well,good luck and let us know how you get on love hev