darkshine

Maybe I Could Be The Next Cat Hero?

I don't know what's got into these cats this week but they've all gone mad!!!

Actually I know exactly what's got into them :wallbash:

I have a cat, and my next door neighbour has a similar cat. They are both being terrorised by a stray. :angry:

Because of this stray 4 days ago my cat got stuck on the conservatory roof trying to get away from him and I had to do a balancing act on a vertical ladder, which typically started to fall as I picked up the cat and I had to leap off it while holding the cat and do a very ungraceful landing. :oops:

And today it attacked the neighbours cat in my garden, it leapt 8 foot up a tree, and messed itself, it then climbed out on a thin branch about 14-16 foot up, and was stuck on this tiny branch halfway up a tree having a panic attack, I kept an eye on it for 20 mins while it calmed down (as it was in no state to listen to begin with) and then I had to go and get it in the end cuz it was howling in fear, so yet again, another journey up a dodgy ladder, while balancing on the top of the fence and the top of the ladder to get the little mite.

Obviously he trusted me to get him, I could see he was listening this time and he slowly he climbed down a little towards me, and then he changed his mind as I lifted him (of course) so I had a comic battle of holding this cat while trying to unlatch his claws from the tree while balancing on the ladder and fence and leaning over 3 feet :rolleyes:

This stray is getting problematic - especially with 2 weedy little cats who can't fight and are obviously scared of it... :angry:

I told everyone to not feed this stray, I told them to not encourage it, and they ignored me and now I have to find someone to help us catch it because the neighbour is seemingly incapable, but I can't leave it to her cuz if it gets my cat it will be an expensive vet bill (my cat has a habit of getting into scrapes as it is - without a stray stalking him 24/7)

Has anyone had to do this? Apparently the RSPCA is not helpful (they are saying euthanasia only option apparently due to being full) and we would all prefer this cat to have a chance at seeing if it can be tamed (it's been neutered so someone had it once) rather than just sentencing it to death.

Very frustrating, am now waiting for the neighbour to pass on the phone details :wallbash:

Cats Protection or the Blue Cross do not euthanise, but they normally have a waiting list as a result. Once they have a space, they can often provide a trap, but it can take a few attempts to catch the correct cat.

Cats Protection or the Blue Cross do not euthanise, but they normally have a waiting list as a result. Once they have a space, they can often provide a trap, but it can take a few attempts to catch the correct cat.

Hi Tally, thanks :thumbs: someone did mention something about a trap but I wasn't sure what they meant (the neighbour mentioned it) and I wasn't sure initially whether it was like a trap trap or a killing trap IYSWIM

The neighbour has apparently been trying to sort this cat thing out for about 4 months now and hasn't achieved anything and the cat is getting very dominant and territorial now. The neighbour also rang the RSPCA when the cat originally turned up (there was a house fire down the road, and the guy who lived there had 12 cats and some didn't get caught when the RSPCA came to sort it) this was at xmas. But the neighbour has only been actively trying for 4 months.

If these (charities/agencies?) aren't on her list of numbers I will definitely find and add them to it - appreciate it!

Its funny how I had this image of the old "animal rescue" that used to be on tv years ago, where people seemed to help with this kind of thing all the time (it seemed) and were caring and stuff. When the story being told by my neighbour is far from that image and they want you to do it all yourself...

I might be a cat saver but I've never trapped anything bigger than a hamster before (long story) and the hamster knew me.

This cat does not know me, or like me (I tell it to go away in cat language) so the whole thing seems very complicated and drawn out...

How on earth do you trap an angry cat?!?

Thanks

Darkshine

No you trap the animal alive! The whole point of them is that you don't have to handle the animal. You just put in some food and then check on it regularly until you find the right cat in it. I've never used one myself, but they should tell you how it works.

If you google things like "animal rescue," "pet rescue" or "cat rescue" and the name of your town, you will probably find some small, local places too. Your vet may also know of somewhere.

No you trap the animal alive! The whole point of them is that you don't have to handle the animal. You just put in some food and then check on it regularly until you find the right cat in it. I've never used one myself, but they should tell you how it works.

I only wondered :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, so trapping it alive I can figure out (in the non-killing trap ;) )

If you google things like "animal rescue," "pet rescue" or "cat rescue" and the name of your town, you will probably find some small, local places too. Your vet may also know of somewhere.

Does it sound really bad if I say I hope I don't have to pay?!?

The neighbour gave me the list of numbers and is sending more tomorrow so I'll google after that - the phoning is gonna have to wait until monday anyway so I'll time to internet it.

I am quite anxious about waiting lists and stuff cuz this cat is really nasty to the cats that live around here and the little spats there were having are escalating...

It sounds so stupid to have this much hassle over a cat! :wallbash: