Kenickie

Going for a cognitive assessment, any ideas?

Hi there,

Im 37 and my GP referred me for assessment for Aspergers at the beginning of May, I was originally seen in June by the mental health team for a screening assessment, and they agreed that i needed to go for a full autism diagnostic assessment. I received an appointment from my local adult autism service last week asking me to attend for a 2 hour cognitive assessment with a psychologist. Does anybody have any idea what kind of thing this will involve as im starting to get in a bit of a state not knowing what to expect?

Hello, these things can be pretty daunting sometimes, and sometimes they may be a relief that something is happening?

There will be a fair bit of talking involved and quite often they get you to fill out forms and stuff like that.

Try not to worry too much and see if you can think of how to get the absolute best out of it.

This is your chance to tell it like it is so use it and see how it goes.

The people doing the assessment won't be worried cuz they are just doing a job - so you can also think "well, I'm also doing a job, I'm trying to get my life on track and learn about myself, and I'm gonna take the chance to do that"

I don't know if any of this will help or not - but good luck anyway

Best

Darkshine

Thanks, I think im still a bit in shock over how quickly things seem to be happening, and im still a bit unsure if this is just part of a wider assessment or if i will be given a diagnosis of whatever is wrong with me (i think im still a little in denial even though all the clinicians i've seen so far are convinced it is Aspergers and this is only really for confirmation) there and then.

Im sure it will be fine, and i'll try my hardest not to worry...i guess its just that fear of the unknown thing.

Thanks, I think im still a bit in shock over how quickly things seem to be happening, and im still a bit unsure if this is just part of a wider assessment or if i will be given a diagnosis of whatever is wrong with me (i think im still a little in denial even though all the clinicians i've seen so far are convinced it is Aspergers and this is only really for confirmation) there and then.

That's ok, and it makes sense that you are struggling to process all of this, it can be a shock (as I know too well) but you have a kind of "heads up" here as it has already been suggested what the outcome may be.

I know its not easy but try to go with the flow and just be honest with the people/person you see.

i guess its just that fear of the unknown thing.

Now that is something most of us are scared of at some time in our life (or constantly as the case may be) :lol:

I guess finding out for sure is the most important thing at this time, so then you can figure out where you go from there. It can make it extra daunting! (more unknowns)

I was dumb and naive when I had mine, but now its done I can start thinking about how to get the most out of life through understanding me, the world (I hope) and other people (also I hope).

So in the journey of self-discovery I wish you well kenickie :thumbs: