Sign in to follow this  
sesley

what cure and for what part of autism?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/31/dr-natasha-campbell-mcbride-on-gaps-nutritional-program.aspx?np=true

This women has claimed she has cured her son's autism and i want to know part or all of it? Because my son's autism of lack of anger control and other things are taking time he is 11 and still explodes at things like not winning or demanding attention. This is behaviour learning which for us is taking some time but i don't think we will ever cure him of his autism only learn as a adult how to best conduct himself in the company of others.

i know, and i have it myself that you can't cure autism as its life long, but it can get easier. If diagnosed really early as a child then it gets easier when grow into adult they can change but it can be different if diagnosed with it when an adult

I think I need to read a little more on GAPS before I can comment fully because I've never heard of it before! I know that there is a lot of discussion around intestinal issues having some bearing on autism and I'm willing to go along with that. However, it is a huge jump from this theory to an assertion that there are no differences in a growing foetus' womb and that abnormal flora enters the gut of the baby leading to brain abnormalities only during birth with bottle-feeding and vaccinations then further damaging a baby's brain and leading to autism!

I was breastfed exclusively for 6+ months and breastfed my son exclusively for four months (recommended weaning age at that time) and then continued throughout his first - yet he showed signs of autism from the day he was born. How does she explain that one then?

Edited by KezT

There can't be a "cure" for it when no-one fully understands the mechanics of the condition. I will be honest I have not read that link but my guess is if someone has claimed to have "cured" her child then the child either did not have an ASD just behavioural issues that mimiced an ASD or the child truely is ASD but HF and they have devised a personal management plan that works for them. But a "cure".....no I don't think so.

Ok, I have read the article now. Some of it is interesting but I find it hard to take seriously due to it's pro-breastfeeding and anti immunisation stance.

I bottle fed both my children. My eldest by choice and my youngest for medical reasons. I regret that after those first 24 hours when there was no longer any medical need for bottle feeding I did not change to breast, but I made my choice and I defend my right to do so.

As for immunisations I know there has been talks of links with ASD and MMR for a long time but as yet there is no proof of this and until there is this scare moungering is only putting child at risk. This article doesn't even specifically mention MMR they are just talking about vaccinations in general. The immunisation scedule in this country has been built up as it is for a very good reason, the illnesses they prevent can have significant repercussions in many many children. I think anyone that is recommending a blanket boycott of childhood immunisations is irresponsible. That said I do also agree there should always be thorough investigation and study if there appears to be any links to illnesses such as the MMR/ASD thing.

TBH I think there's a lot we still need to understand about environmental triggers for autism and I think when we do vaccinations will be implicated, but I hope that issue doesn't over-ride the main issue in this thread...

Quite simply, if this woman (or anyone else) says they have 'cured' autism they are either mistaken or lying. I'm prepared to give the benefit of the doubt generally, but when somebody is marketing that cure feel the balance more than likely tips towards the 'L' rather than the 'M' end of the scales.

In the simplest terms, it is entirely possible that a child given an inappropriate diagnosis on the basis of some 'traits' might overcome those traits as they develop. This is not a 'cure', whether they have been subjected to intensive ABA programmes, Special dietary interventions or even the more controversial 'chip therapy' (see Dad, B et al, 2010) - it is purely the reassessment of a misdiagnosis.

Alternatively, some children who have autism will develop techniques and strategies that help them overcome many aspects of their disabilities. A group like DAN will parade children like this at 'curebie' rallies, and claim this is the result of some sort of intervention they are peddling. This, of course, is patently ridiculous, because for every one of the children who achieve that level of functioning due to a specific intervention (or series of interventions)there will be other autistic children who don't, (in which case the parents and/or children will be blamed but not the intervention, series of interventions or indeed any 'therapists' providing those interventions) and likewise there will be many children who achieve the same levels of functioning without those interventions.

Of course, what parents do, how parents respond to their children can make a huge difference in terms of that child's expectations, but there is absolutely NO Evidence that any sort of therapy or intervention can impact on that beyond what could be achieved without the intervention or therapy. It is, in fact, impossible to measure the effects of any intervention or therapy on autism because there is no standard medical model against which results can be measured.

In conclusion, this article is misleading rubbish. Whether it is misleading rubbish because somebody is deliberately misleading people to profit from them, or whether it is a case of misdiagnosis, over-enthusiastic rediagnosis or just 'Bad English' (with the word cure used inappropriately) is sort of a moot point, though if it is the former one can only hope that somewhere down the line the people deliberately misleading for profit are broguht to task for it.

L&P

BD

the article suggests about bloom things when they are born,this women, suggests baby's bodies are sterile before birth,yet other scientists thoughts are on genetic testing before birth,so this idea of hers that they become autistic after birth contradicts what other scientists are saying. The Americans are all about blame and what to blame,like vaccinations and the enviroment, So out come all these witch doctors with claims of cures and therapys,preying on vunerable people with these stupid and dangerous claims.

the article suggests about bloom things when they are born,this women, suggests baby's bodies are sterile before birth,yet other scientists thoughts are on genetic testing before birth,so this idea of hers that they become autistic after birth contradicts what other scientists are saying. The Americans are all about blame and what to blame,like vaccinations and the enviroment, So out come all these witch doctors with claims of cures and therapys,preying on vunerable people with these stupid and dangerous claims.

Hi Sesley -

While largely agreeing with you re witch-doctors and 'curebies' I don't think it's quite that cut and dried... The 'environmental factors' theory isn't offered as an alternative to genetic predisposition but is intrinsically linked to it: i.e. people have a genetic predisposition towards developing autism, but the degree to which that happens can depend on their exposure to wider environmental triggers like vaccination, pollution, chemical food treatments etc. I happen to agree with that, purely because I have seen/heard so many stories surrounding MMR. I think it is far easier to dismiss it if you haven't witnessed it, but having seen first hand my nephew react to an MMR jab badly and emerge from a fever a couple of days later a completely different child it's not see easy for me to write it off as coincidence. That's far from being my only experience of this, but as the other story is far more complex and I've not got the time I'll leave that for another day! As I said, I don't want the MMR / environmental triggers thing to overtake the thread, and i'm not claiming I'm 'right', I just think we're a long way from a definitive answer either way, and IMO there is a cause for concern.

But claims of children being 'cured' are absolute bolleaux!

L&P

BD

agreed,the only word for a cure for autism is rubbish,you can treat the symptoms for some gut problems associated with autism,mine has occasional constipation,because his diet is difficult,and choose various food stuffs,but the cure for his character would be a cure for myself and thats non existance,since i have a lot of his traits,which proves to me that autism is something you are born with.thorugh the proper support and knowledge of what we know now,life in this mainstream world can be supported with the proper understanding and skills. and best, as earlier as possible.

Edited by sesley

i have a lot of his traits,which proves to me that autism is something you are born with.

Hmmm... I'm being pedantic now, but no it doesn't... There are several layers of assumptions that have to be applied for that to 'work', and assumptions are not evidence.

Assumption one: identifying the shared traits as autism or autism specific.

Assumption two: ignoring any other (i.e. environmental) factors that could produce the same 'symptom's (very similar to point on but not entirely so)

Assumption three: ignoring any developmental influences (parenting techniques etc) that could give rise to acquired or learned mannerisms/behaviours...

etc etc

All of the above are perfectly valid explanations for why children might 'take after' their parents in terms of personality, behaviour, mannerisms, looks, psychology, 'outlook' etc that have nothing to do with genetics. Which is not to say, of course, that genetics isn't a (or even the) major factor in autism - just that it's not the only one!

L&P

BD

well here is some one else with idead of autism and its seemingly increase,she blames the internet

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/aug/06/research-autism-internet-susan-greenfield They are all now seeming to come out fo the woodwork,about autism. Autism awareness porgrams seem to not have the desired effect of positivity,with how to support and look after families living with it,its more of what is the cause and how can it be controlled.

Edited by sesley