Sign in to follow this  
dekra

Council Housing

Does anyone have any experience of council housing and being awarded medical points?

Finn's sleep issues are now at the stage they are preventing normal progression of his baby sister (who is 1 next week) to the childrens room. We have put in a housing application to the local council and housing associations for a 3 bedroom property. Under normal circumstances we would not be allowed to apply for a 3 bedroom house as both children are under 8 but we have put in the special form for extra points due to Finn and his sleep disturbances. The special request form gets sent to an occupational therapy nurse and if she agrees then we are on the housing list for a 3 bedroom house.

Does anyone have any experience of applying for an additional bedroom and if so were you sucessful in being awarded medical points and being allowed to apply only for a bigger house than normal allocation rules would have dictated.

hi, we have been awarded medical priority for a 2 bed bungalow ,as well as asd + dyspraxia our dd has unstable epilepsy. we at present own [mortgage]our own home but we will sell that once we find a suitable bungalow .

we just requested an assessment and about 1 days later a lady came out and we went through dds problems and explained what we had done to help her and what she needed to be safe and as independent as possible.

That's great that you got the points jollypig. Hope something suitable comes up for you soon. We also own our current home on a mortgage and are unable to get a mortgage to move to a bigger house so a council house is our only hope as with me starting University soon we won't have the finances to do a loft conversion as we'd hoped to.

Hi

I know different councils work differently but where I am I have been on the waiting list for 2 years now and still on the lowest band (band D) I had applied when in a different county but then was forced to do a house swap as I was desparate to move into this area due to my father being ill and my nursing course (I live behind the hospital where I do placements.)

I have four kids and I am in a two bed house, two of my boys have a diagnosis, so I should realistically be on band B and be entitled to four rooms.My eldest is 11 in two months and has to share with my youngest aged 3.Whilst the two ASD boys share a room, not ideal as one does not sleep well at all.I sleep on the sofa.

Good luck with your application though.

That sounds awful justine, have the council amended their records to show you are now in their area as well as over-crowded? If I were you I'd chase up and make sure they have you correctly on their system.

I'm also a student nurse (well I will be in 15 days time) and can't wait to start my placements in the new year, it's a 30 min drive to my placement hospital however,, wish it were just behind me lol.

That sounds awful justine, have the council amended their records to show you are now in their area as well as over-crowded? If I were you I'd chase up and make sure they have you correctly on their system.

I'm also a student nurse (well I will be in 15 days time) and can't wait to start my placements in the new year, it's a 30 min drive to my placement hospital however,, wish it were just behind me lol.

I have tried to explain things to them as soon as I moved here last November and sent in the boys diagnosis reports and Sam's DLA form.I had the housing officer from the housing association come by a couple weeks ago and she did say she will ring them up too.I know people in this county who have been waiting for 5-7 years for a larger property, its crazy.

Good luck for your nursing its very demanding as unlike a normal course its not just lectures 9-5, its the hectic hours of placements and then having assignments to do whilst on placement plus still looking after the kids.With me being on my own I have just managed to finish year 1 but have put it on hold now as I need to sort out more permanent childcare for Sam and my youngest son. If you have support from a partner or other family it is so much easier.

Hi dekra

If you are involved with CAMHS, paediatrician, social services you can ask them to write letters of support for your family. Your GP should also be able to do a letter. Any adults in the family who have contact with mental health services could also ask their care worker for a letter.

Good luck.

Thanks! That's a good thought, my husband has involvement with the mh service due to his OCD. I might ask him to contact his psychiatrist to see if he is willing to do a letter of support to show the benefit he will gain from it also.

We had the OT visit today from the council for accessable needs (posh name for medical) points allocation.

Although Finn's dx is GGD (with CD) the OT said she sees many ASD and ADHD children and the needs are pretty similar and she will be recommending we are put down for a 3 bed property. We will be allocated medical points for Finn although she was unable to tell me how many. She did say it would be a lot less than someone with a physical disability and that is fair imo. She also said that although there are less points we may have a shorter wait as we can take any type of 3 bed house not just ones that are adapted with a ramp or wet room etc. So fingers crossed - I know there is still going to be a wait to be rehoused but maybe now it will only be a year or 2 rather than 6-8 years or more.

We had the OT visit today from the council for accessable needs (posh name for medical) points allocation.

Although Finn's dx is GGD (with CD) the OT said she sees many ASD and ADHD children and the needs are pretty similar and she will be recommending we are put down for a 3 bed property. We will be allocated medical points for Finn although she was unable to tell me how many. She did say it would be a lot less than someone with a physical disability and that is fair imo. She also said that although there are less points we may have a shorter wait as we can take any type of 3 bed house not just ones that are adapted with a ramp or wet room etc. So fingers crossed - I know there is still going to be a wait to be rehoused but maybe now it will only be a year or 2 rather than 6-8 years or more.

Wow thats brilliant well done :thumbs: I had an assessment on Tuesday I thought it went well as she said they would move me up to Band C for now then send me a medical form after which I should get to Band B, also that I am entitled to a four bed home as that is the maximum amount of rooms they have in this county.

However to my surprise I received a letter this morning that said I will remain on Band D !!! Even though I have four boys in one room and two have ASD PLUS I am expecting a baby girl in 3.5 mths time!!! They have not even given me the medical form, that aside I have given all the dx reports for both my boys and the carers allowance and DLA letters for Sam !!

Edited by justine1

That's positive news Justine - hopefully the letter this morning is just a clerical error and you will be moving to the correct bands soon. I think I am struggling for room with 2, I can't imagine how you cope with 4 and a bit! That said you just do don't you. It's the same when I read about people here with children with difficulties that are significantly more than my son has, I wonder how they cope but before they HAD to cope I bet they never expected they'd be able to if you had asked them.

The medical points for my application were uploaded today and we have 50 points. This is the lowest possible award for medical points but having spoken to a few housing area offices it's not impossible to get what I am after with that number of points. One area had 2 houses allocated last year to people with the same number of points. It just comes down to how many people are on the medical priority list as that gets a smaller proportion of properties allocated to it than other groups but I am hoping there are a smaller number of people waiting on it. That I am aware they don't tell you "where you are on the list" like they would years ago so it's pretty much ask about the number of houses they get and the number of points they go for and then just guestimate from there.

Well we were awarded 50 points (the lowest amount you get now) for accessible needs for Finn. The points were put on the system friday 22nd October and I had a phone call yesterday afternoon (Fri 29th Oct) to offer me a house!

I am in shock tbh lol. The house in in an ok area in the next town over and seems to be in good repair from the outside. It is about 2 minute drive from his nursery and it's in the right catchement area for the primary school I will be registering for.

There are 2 drawbacks to the property - firstly it does not have a bath only a walk in shower which is great for me but Finn does love his bath but I think he'll be happy enough enjoying his bubblebaths when he visits his gran. The baby hates baths and showers alike so she doesn't get a say! Secondly it is near the railway line. I have lived near a railway line before (closer than this house in fact) and after a few days I got used to the trains and they didn't bother me, however I also once lived near a very very busy dual carriageway and the constant 24 hour buzz of cars drove me crazy, the only time it was quiet was the early hours of Christmas day but even by mid morning it was picking up to uncomfortable levels. I only lasted a few months there! So what I don't want to do is move to this house and then discover Finn has similar issues with the trains. We are going to try going by the street when a train is due to assess the noise level and Finn's reaction. Also take him into the station to see how he copes with trains up close - hopefully try to get him interested in them to stop a fear developing. Since I got my driving licence when he was 17 months he's not been near trains but he never had an issue as a toddler so I am hoping this will be same now.

The current tenant only gave notice on yesterday so I just got a call saying they were writing to me and would I like to view the property - ofc I would lol!! Tenant needs to give 4 weeks notice and I think council try to keep void time to a minimum but also do any work required between tenancies too so hopefully if the house is ok and we take it we might move in 5 weeks time! I really need to get saving, I only started my carpet savings fund on Thursday so £75 is not going to get me far!

Wow! That sounds great! :thumbs:

Hope everything goes smoothly if you decide to move - from what you describe it sounds like it suits you well. Moving is not fun, especially if you are doing a course now too (and have a baby) so 'Good Luck'!

Lynda

Thats fantastic news :thumbs: Remember you don't have to take the first property they offer you, you usually get up to three properties but of course if you decline one that may have been they right one you may regret it later. I always go for location when looking at a property and from what you saying it sounds ideal.

I am still waiting :angry: So frustrating but as I say it all depends on where you live. The county I live in is very popular in fact it is quite overpopulated. Just heard yesterday they are building another 3200 new homes not far from where I live, that will be the fourth new development in the past 5 years!! Yet there is still a shortage. Anyway I believe they will only house me next year after my baby is born,though it is wrong because I am overcrowded already.

Good luck with the move I am sure it will all be fine >:D<<'>

Thanks ladies :)

Justine I really hope they come up with something for you soon. It's been hard enough with 2 adults and 2 children in a 2 bed house, I can't imagine the stresses your whole family are under with the level of crowding you have. I admit to having been very very lucky in this respect and never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be offered something so soon and I do appreciate how fortunate we've been. I am just glad I decided that day to put the forms in and ask for medical points - tbh I expected them to dismiss it but the Occupational Therapist was lovely and understood the situation and difficulties faced by families with children that have ASD (or GDD).