SjB1

How can I get a credible private diagnosis for my son?

Hi everyone

I really want to know how I can get a decent private diagnosis for my son who is 4 in October?

I am waiting on an NHS waiting list to be seen but its a joke. They are majorly short staffed and cannot give me any idea when thhey can even give me an appointment date let alone when it will be!

I strongly believe my son has aspergers and have felt like this for over a year. His behaviour is becoming more challenging. Some days I feel I can't cope with the meltdowns etc. If I had an official diagnosis I feel I could access more support.

I trust the NHS diagnosis more than private and definitely want to go ahead with it. I would just like to try and seek a private diagnosis too so when my son starts school I have something more concrete to tell his teachers.

I have heard that many schools ignore private diagnosis but I still think its worth having so they believe my son needs extra help.

I don't know where to go, do you see a paediatrician, child psychologist, educational psychologist?? And how do you make sure they are good?!

I've read people on this site saying make sure you see an expert and not a self proclaimed expert but how would you know the difference?

Any advice from people who have been through this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sarah.