Sign in to follow this  
bobbybaggio

Do I have a right to ask council to help with flat?

I live alone in a council flat. I work full time and come across as generally "normal" in the outside world. However I struggle greatly to maintain my home. The flat wasn't in a good condition when handed to me. This would have been fine for anyone else as they'd have quickly sorted things out. I on the other hand have only managed to get some very minor painting done in a year! I'm really struggling.

I was wondering if it's acceptable to ask the council for support in the maintenance of the flat? I don't even mind contributing towards the costs. The work required isn't all basic and it really just stresses me out. I even have a garden which is twice the size of what I need and it too was in a proper mess when I moved in. I had to pay £170 for a gardener just to tidy it up. I have complained to the council about this but they didn't reply.

I've never declared myself as having an asd to any service or employer. I prefer to work hard to keep up or exceed the norms but this is something I've never been able to master.

You may wonder why I accepted the place...well I was kind of pressured by the council who said I'd move to bottom of the list if I didn't accept. I was living in worst part of my town so didn't see a lot of choice. I think I'm kinda stuck now.

In some areas there is a sort of maintenance firm that will do maintenance jobs for people on low incomes/benefits. Maybe the library/CAB/council will have information if there's one in your area?

I thought councils did places up before they were reoccupied - obviously not!