Sign in to follow this  
Pancakemaker

14 year olds 1 st appt today

Hi everyone,my 14 year old had his 1st appt at the community pediatricians today,to bring you up to speed his school had rang me and said he has a lot of trouble in exams,finishes early then stretches yawns and makes noises etc,I told them that he has a lot of symptoms of aspergers( from what I'd read in books while reading about autism,because of my youngest) the teacher on the phone said that could explain a lot and referred him to the schools senco.who put him into touch with the schools salt therapist who then spoke to me and referred him to paeds.well nice lady,spoke to us for two and half hours,and said that it wouldn't be aspergers as with aspergers there's no speech delay,rio had a very pronounced stammer he'd repeat the first word ofva sentence over and over,it'd take him ages to get anything out.so it's probably high functioning autism,which although I'm already going through getting my youngest diagnosed,this has still left me winded,that's the only way to describe it.I thought he was just quirky!xx

It ,s a bit weird isn,.t it ....thinking one thing then being told another.Either way I just take the veiw that he,s on the spectrum somewhere.Some even say that high functioning autism is aspergers....at the end of the day its a pead/physchs view on it that it boils down too.Hes still your boy and hopefully the DX will help at school etc.Best wishes suzex

that sounds like me. they were looking into aspergers at age 12 and like u say they said it cant be aspergers because no speech delay. but when i were 14 the nurse got the paed to assess me with autism and that were the correct diagnosis as i had delayed speech but moderate meaning in between low and high