Sign in to follow this  
Dijac

Son hated airshow

Hi,

I made a big mistake today. My husband and I used to love airshows, so when I saw there was one at a small airport nearby I was excited, and as the weather was ok, we decided to go, despite Will's protests.

I thought, taking ear plugs would be enough. Alas, when the show was opened with a surprise jet, it didn't go down well. After that, even with the plugs in and me holding his head, he hated the noise. After the jets, he didn't mind the helicopter and the small acrobatic biplane, but as soon as we heard jets starting up again, we had to leave.

It is hard to listen to Will sometimes, as he just hates leaving the house, and more importantly, leaving the computer. But I guess this time I should have listened, although the long walk from the parking to the show, and back were good for him. You win some, you lose some.

Next time I'll know.

Diane

I've heard the Tomatis listening program can help with auditory sensitivity. Also avoiding aspartame in foods and drinks.

Another idea is to get a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones.

It was worth a try. Don't give up hope, things may change. My daughter hated loud noises and would never go near an airshow until a few years ago. Now she loves them, and it's the noisy ones she loves best - the Vulcan is her favourite!

you could have got away with some proper ear defenders, like the kind the tank drivers use... expensive mind, but they are handy!

it's interesting to see the difference in sensitivity to different thing between people with asperger's and autism, I find it fascinating. It is truly weird because loud noises seldom bother me these days at all, I go to rock gigs, I'm in a very loud band and I love jet aircraft and the only thing sound wise that bothers me is the sirens on ruddy ambulances!!!!

he might cope with it when he's older?? my cousins have both been like that with B being a lot better with noises over the last two years (he's now 11) and G is alright but could be better if you get me (he's 17)

Hi,

I made a big mistake today. My husband and I used to love airshows, so when I saw there was one at a small airport nearby I was excited, and as the weather was ok, we decided to go, despite Will's protests.

I thought, taking ear plugs would be enough. Alas, when the show was opened with a surprise jet, it didn't go down well. After that, even with the plugs in and me holding his head, he hated the noise. After the jets, he didn't mind the helicopter and the small acrobatic biplane, but as soon as we heard jets starting up again, we had to leave.

It is hard to listen to Will sometimes, as he just hates leaving the house, and more importantly, leaving the computer. But I guess this time I should have listened, although the long walk from the parking to the show, and back were good for him. You win some, you lose some.

Next time I'll know.

Hi, My 12 year old son would ahve been same......he doesnt like to leave house much or computer.....waiting for feedback on wednesday from CAMHS...i know how you feel............

Dianei kn

Hi,

Thanks for your replies - Will said the noise was physically hurting him. But other days, he likes to listen to music quite loud on his head phones. I guess it depends on the noise.

Kathryn, the Harrier used to be my favourite, but I don't think that is around anymore. And I once saw concorde take off and land - that was mega. We could have had a half hour ride on it, but it was quite expensive - Now it's out of service I wish we'd done it. Retrospect is a great thing!!

Diane

It can also depend on having control over the noise. With music he knows he can turn it down any time he likes. The planes were out of his control and also came as a surprise. This can be much harder to cope with.