Sign in to follow this  
raquelornot

Friendliness

Hello,

My 5 ½ yr old son is in the queue for an Ed Psych to see him in school – not sure what the outcome of this will be, if any. He’s always been a little quirky but his latest teacher seems very happy with him and thinks he’s just got a very individual personality.

The main thing that’s slightly worrying from my point of view is that he doesn’t know when not to be friendly. He’ll start a conversation with anyone, chat away, and often needs reminding that these people might have things to do. Although it’s rather sweet and he gets a lot of smiles, he would seem a bit odd if he was still doing this in a couple of years time.

He can also be quite touchy feely. Sometimes he’ll hold hands or start stroking the person he’s speaking to. He obviously needs to realise that this isn’t what people generally do.

How can I get the message across without giving him a complex? I don’t want to stop him being friendly, or kill his innocence, but just make him more aware of how people act...

Hi Raquelornot

It might be worth trying (I'm not exactly sure what it's called) the Concentric cirles chart which is a way of explaining who is very close - mum, dad, granny, grandad - who you can kiss and cuddle, get very close to etc (the middle circle) through to people you don't know so you don't speak to them or go near them (in the outer circle). You could do it as simply as you think he would need it to understand and have the circles in colours that you can use to ask him what 'type' of a person he thinks someone is. If you had the outer circle in blue you could say if he was a bit too friendly to a stranger for instance 'Is this a blue person? What do we say to a blue person?'

This was a suggestion which was made to us when we did the 'Cygnet' course for parents of children with ASD's and I thought it was quite a helpful way of explaining quite a difficult concept!

Lynda x

Hi Lynda,

The circle sounds like a great way of explaining things. I might try to make it based on space, as that's what he's bang in to. Although people might think it's a bit odd if I ask my son what planet they're on...

Just got a letter from school and we have a meeting with EP in a couple of weeks so hopefully we'll find out if the "issues" people have had with him amount to anything or not.

Thank you for your tip. I will definitely try to use it.

Rachel x

The circle thing is a very good idea, but make sure you expain the concept of each circle well. When we tried it with my son he put pretty much everyone (including total strangers) in the "close friends" circle as he didn't really have any concept of what a friend was :( he still doesn't....

Hope it goes well! :thumbs: