bid

PMs

I'm just copying a query I posted in the techie forum, as it appeared halfway down the page and I'm not sure anyone will see it!!

I have just deleted my notifications list as it was really long...but now I can't seem to access my actual PMs?? I usually empty my in-box of messages first, then delete the notifications...but does deleting the notifications first also delete the messages too??

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Stupid question - but have you tried the drop down bar that appears with your name in it? Or has everything got deleted in there too?

(the one with my profile, my settings, my content and messenger in it)

Also, there might have been a setting within delete content that had delete messages ticked that could have been missed (can't remember for sure)

Edited by darkshine

Stupid question - but have you tried the drop down bar that appears with your name in it? Or has everything got deleted in there too?

I can't get the drop down to work! As soon as I try to click on anything in it, it just disappears altogether...

Bid :wacko:

ETA: it let me do it successfully just now, so I was able to click on 'messenger' and could see that my PMs are still there. But when I tried to do it agin, it went back to disappearing when I try to click on 'messenger'!!

ETA again: and now sometimes it stays long enough to allow me to click on 'messenger', but nothing happens...

Edited by bid

Ok.... now that just sounds annoying... at least your messages are safe somewhere.

I heard a few people moaning about different browsers acting differently on the forum, have you got an alternative one you could test to see if that is the case? I use google chrome and the only problems I get are the ones I cause :D (on here at least - but sometimes I use internet explorer if something is playing up to check if its the browser or not)

If not, browse the admin team and annoy somebody by messaging one of them direct (so you don't need to open messenger to do so);)

Does it work if you get a new PM link? Like if I PM you now, can you access your messages through the link? (just so you can read what it is you wanted to)

Thanks Darkshine...I can access messages from my phone, like now, and when I have a notification I can access them via that, so thanks :)

I will also try another browser and see if the drop down works any better.

Bid :)

Hi bid -

two things you could try - deleting any 'cookies', and/or if you're using ie8 or 9 viewing in 'compatability' mode. I had problems a while ago with messaging, and the second fixed it (NB: for compatability mode in i.e. 9 you click on the little icon that looks like a page break symbol in the 'search' bar between the 'magnifying glass' and 'refresh' icons. In ie8 I think you have to do it through 'tools')...

HTH

L&P

BD

I do but I can't say it better ;) I can say that delete cookies is an option on the very bottom of the forum "home" page - its in pale grey - 3rd option from left

I did actually press that earlier today in a spirit of experimentation when I was trying to get the drop down to work...all that appeared to happen was that I got logged out??

:blink:

ETA: A-ha!! The drop down does work if I use Firefox!

Edited by bid

Firefox is a good second bet - glad you got somewhere with it - I'd have found that so annoying :D

PS - it probably threw you out because cookies are all the little bits of info you press/type on a site that get stored to speed things up - too many and it slows down in my case :wallbash: but yeah, when you clear them it deletes the info you used on that occasion (to log in) and therefore throws you out - it all sounds so stupid - I hate pc jargon - its why I prefer words like "thingy" or "wotjamacallit" :lol:

A simple link if it helps in the quest of knowledge Cookies

All this cookie talk has made me hungry :P