Sign in to follow this  
bobbysaul

hi im new

Hi my son Bobby is nearly 3 and has been diaognosed with HFA buy a private pead together with a sp/lan therapist i am now awaiting an NHS assesment for Bobby which is gonna be a long process would like advice and what i can do whilst waiting diognosis and therapy

Bobby will be 3 in Feb he has speech delay language delay he does not understand a question ie how old are u? what is ur name? he has lots of repetitive

behaviours and loves routines, he loves music computers tv but he does become obsessed so i have to limit all of these things, he has very bad tamtrums and very hard to calm him down once h has gone its like he loses control and nothing calms him down i just have to leave him alone, he loves numbers esp and counts to 20 or more knows all the letters recognises words and signs knows all colours and shapes, he repeats a lot and his speech is more a collection of phrases he has learnt, he finds it hard to tell me waht he wants, never tells me if he is hungary tired cold etc, he never sits still and stands most of the day, walks a bit on tip toe jumps spins shales head etc, he is very smily and not shy at all, he goes to playgroup 3 afternoons a week ans loves it, they tell me he pays with the other children but i have noticed when he goes in that he goes to play on his own but if a child comes over to him then he will play alongside or with them so not sure what his social probs are? he only eats certain food like yogs pizza crisps choc buscuits chips fish fingers bread weetabix, he is not bothered if his nappy is dirty or wet, i have been told that he goes to the toilet at nursery but he will not go at home at all! would like to speak to other mothers swap advice etc

Lisa xx mum of 2 boys 2yrs 9 months and 14 months

Hi

Welcome >:D<<'> I have four boys, two of them have ASD diagnoses. My 8 year old Sam has Aspergers and my 5 year old Dan has HFA. Dan was dagnosed a year ago age 4. He still has speech problems but is now very talkative.

Have you asked his school what they do to help him go to the toilet? Maybe you can use the same techniques at home so that it is consistent. Dan was not fully trained until just after his 4th birthday and now at 5 he stil has the odd "accident" (wee only.) My fourth son who is 3 is not potty trained yet,and it is struggle,he wn't go at school either! He does the occasional poo on the toilet but not wee at all!

I am sureyou are trying with reward charts and mayb going without nappy for a period of time may help. Also try putting potties in each room so he will make it on time,this could be one of the worries.

With speech try encourage eye contact by goingdown on to his level and holding his chin/face gently to face you as you talk to him.If he gets distressed leave it but keep trying. Neither of mine make good eye contact but when I am asking them to do something or telling something important they wwill do their best so they can process what I am saying. Also try use simple language,talk clearly and don't ask to any questions or give too many options at once. Yo can also use flashcards even if he just plays with tem without saying anything the pictures and words will be absorbed.

I always thouht neither of my boys were listening or understanding me but they do and when Da started talking he could re-tell things that had happened two years before, a real little sponge!

Good luck :thumbs:

Hi Bobby is quite confusing and misleading he is very smily and friendly eye contact is not a major problem i would say it is fleeting and gives it when he wants to if he is interested mainly! with potty training im goin straight to the toielet as that is what he does at nursery i think he goes there as he sees the other boys and copies them but he does not have an older brother at home to copy will get there in the end! he knows many words but just uses them in the single word mainly and does not really put his own sentences together but talks non stop all day in phrases singing or his own language or counting sometimes i think maybe they have diognosis wrong and he is just having prob that any boy his age would do, then i watch his behaviours tantrums and think no he is def on th autistic spectrum did you feel like that at all sometimes?

Hi Bobby is quite confusing and misleading he is very smily and friendly eye contact is not a major problem i would say it is fleeting and gives it when he wants to if he is interested mainly! with potty training im goin straight to the toielet as that is what he does at nursery i think he goes there as he sees the other boys and copies them but he does not have an older brother at home to copy will get there in the end! he knows many words but just uses them in the single word mainly and does not really put his own sentences together but talks non stop all day in phrases singing or his own language or counting sometimes i think maybe they have diognosis wrong and he is just having prob that any boy his age would do, then i watch his behaviours tantrums and think no he is def on th autistic spectrum did you feel like that at all sometimes?

I have doubted sometimes about both my boys dx's,mostly when I blame myself thinking maybe I did something wrong. However there are just so many things that make it clear to me that they do have autism,I cannot pinpoint one or two things its many things grouped together.

I think once it is validated by the NHS diagnosis you may accept it a little more(?) Also as time goes on you get to see him with other children his own age and prehaps see the gap widening. All you can do is help and support him as best as you can.