pwag20

Repeating year 11

I have my Daughters statement annual review tomorrow. She was diagnosed with ASD just over a year ago and up until this September was in mainstream school. Since September she has attended the ASD unit in her mainstream school. She is in year 11.

I would like school to consider her repeating year 11 in view of her late diagnosis and the fact that she has only just started to receive the support she so badly needs. For the first time in her entire school career she is enjoying school and has made some friend in her fellow ASD peers. I feel she is in no way ready to leave school both emotionally and socially. I did mention this to the Manager of the ASD unit recently who suggested she didn't think it would be impossible for her to repeat year 11. The ASD unit is new and has capacity for 20 students but currently only has 8 I believe.

My question is has anyone any experience of repeating a year and if so who has the final say so? The Headteacher or LEA? What impact would this have and how can I best be prepared to put my case forward in favour of this?

Many Thanks :o)

Hi

I don't have that much experience in this but it was something I considered doing with my son. He had missed out most of year 2 as he was on a part time timetable(only went until 12 everyday and also had accumulated 10 days exclusions) we then moved when he was in year 3 and again he was out of school for 6 months. So I requested that he restart year 3,the SEN oficer said they were unlikely to grant this because his academic ability was slightly above average and average.She also said the year group may be fill at the school of my choice. I still wish I stuck to it though,he is the youngest as his birthday is mid August, so if he were to repeat he would only be a month or two older than what would be the oldest in the year group.

So I am guessing you request this from the SEN officer put it in writing and maybe forward a copy to the school. I also think,from what I was told,you would have to show perhaps that he has fallen behind and is bound to take very long(if ever) to catch up. I am sure if you have progress reports,letters from teachers and Senco these will help.

Schools can place a child in a different year group at their discretion, and the decision would normally be up to the head. Mostly they don't like doing it.

However you might be in a stronger position as your daughter has a statement. There is recent case law which says that placement in a different year group can itself be Special Educational Provision and can therefore be written into part 3 of the statement.

If you could get it written into part 3 there would be a legal duty on the school and LA to put her in that year group.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Whether you manage to get your daughter to repeat year 11 or not, I would also suggest you look at post 16 provision. Her Statement will still cover her and there maybe a special college that she would like to go to, or an independent school that would go up to age 19.

I don't know much about post 16 options. And if you were looking for an independent school that was ASD specific, you would more than likely need to go to an educational tribunal.

You may have to go to a tribunal anyway for them to decide whether to allow her to repeat year 11.

Edited by Sally44

Whether you manage to get your daughter to repeat year 11 or not, I would also suggest you look at post 16 provision. Her Statement will still cover her and there maybe a special college that she would like to go to, or an independent school that would go up to age 19.

I don't know much about post 16 options. And if you were looking for an independent school that was ASD specific, you would more than likely need to go to an educational tribunal.

You may have to go to a tribunal anyway for them to decide whether to allow her to repeat year 11.

Thanks. I have looked at the minimal post 16 education available. There is just one possible option locally which would be my second choice over her repeating her last year at school. She wants to stay on at school but doesn't meet the entry criteria for their sixth form. On the way to school this morning I asked her a couple of questions (to present at the annual review). I asked her out of 10 how much she likes school now and she answered 9. That would become a 10 if she be allowed to do year 11 again. I asked her out of 10 how much she liked school prior to her placement in the ASD unit and she answered 4. Says a lot really.

So, time to get ready for the annual review meeting. Fingers crossed and wish me luck!