reading posts on here ( especially thomas the tank engine ) took me back to my childhood

and remembering spending HOURS endlessly building things out of lego ( seriously i could build anything when i put my mind to it )

its amazing because when your obsessed with something ( like star trek ) i could build the enterprise out of lego

same with battleships, trains, planes, anything imaginable can be built with a large enough box of lego

did anyone else have a similar experience ( or have children that play with lego )

My lad used to spend every spare second he had building with Lego. He also built a full Enterprise bridge! :D He used to build Transformers that actually used to transform from vehicles into robots without having to take them apart, just by using hinges, he could turn them from one to the other by folding them like you would Transformers that you buy, they were amazing. He still has two enormous boxes of Lego and, although he doesn't use it anymore (started to feel that he was too old), he doesn't want to let them go yet.

~ Mel ~

This is definately my sons biggest love.

He has designed his own amazing models. I remember when he was only 4 yrs old he would build intricate space craft that could fit inside eachother or could be modular and added to eachother. And the designs were so specific ie. having guns at different angles so that they didn't shoot into the backs of eachother. So he was really putting alot of thought into how he built them.

Recently he's making lots of little mini models that are all robots or clone types. How he comes up with them is beyond me. He shows genuine imagination and a talent for design, with a knowledge of the pieces and what you can do with them, which never ceases to amaze me.

I used to play with lego a lot as a kid - couldn't make those kinds of things though cuz I didn't have enough pieces :( I went on to meccano when I got a bit older - both are the kind of thing that are good to play with kids with when your an adult too - a friend of the family's kid had stickle bricks, but they freak me out cuz they get stuff trapped in the bits :lol: and the people/animal face pieces are just scary :blink:

There's some cool lego around these days though, makes me wish I was a kid again :D

or for a far cheeper and less painfull ( seriously...who HASNT stepped on a legobrick ) way,

you could get virtual lego, completly free, INFINTE LEGO!!!!

and if you make something really nice, you can just click a few buttons and BUY your creation ( complete with custom box and instructions )

http://ldd.lego.com/download/