Tally

Pigeon Job!

I was very brave and phoned up a lady who keeps pet pigeons and doves, and needs someone to help twice a week with cleaning.

I've been looking for a second job since I started my job in September because I need a little bit of extra money. Just hoping it will fit around my existing job. It will be even better if there is the flexibility to fit it around university too, as I will definitely have to give up my main job then and a bit of money would be helpful!

She is looking for an animal lover, so I was able to tell her that I especially love cats and have a pet cat, and that I have been working at the wildlife rescue charity for 4 months now where I do a lot of work with pigeons.

Someone came to her door so she had to go, but she's going to phone me back later today and I'll ask then if we can fit it around my existing job.

Fingers crossed!

She hasn't phoned back. She told me to phone back if she doesn't. But I don't know what time she was going to call back. She just said if it wasn't before 4, it wouldn't be until after 6, and it's still after 6 and I don't want to pester her if she was going to phone soon . . . Anyway, I think I will phone tomorrow if she doesn't phone back today.

Making phone calls is really scary :ph34r:

I meant to say it was pretty brave of you to ring about this - I would have found that part very hard - and I hope the work is what you want and you get on with the lady :D

My grandad used to breed pigeons for a bit - they can be alright - messy though - but a lot of birds are ;)

She phoned me at 8.30 :)

I'm going round on Saturday to meet her.

I think I'm in there. She has already offered me a good wage.

She wants someone twice per week for 2 hours at a time, and she's very flexible about fitting it around my other job. I'm going to suggest Wednesday and Saturday afternoons.

She sounds like a total nutter, but in a good way.

I think they are just feral pigeons and doves that she feeds. She has a number with injuries that she keeps in her house, and the others get locked in an aviary and stable over night, which is what she wants cleaning. I get the impression she is quite elderly and either cannot manage or is too busy.

I never used to like pigeons much until I started working at the wildlife rescue. They do have lovely little personalities. But yes, they do poo a lot, and my job is going to be scrubbing and scraping up their mess! It will be horrible in winter, but probably rather nice in the summer. It sounds like she has lots of staff to do odd jobs, so I might meet some of the others and make friends too.

See I'm psychic - there's something about 8:30 pm :wacko:

Nothing wrong with nutters - some really nice people appear nuts :P

Sounds like a good set-up for you, money, time, flexible and all that - hope all goes well when you meet :thumbs:

Sounds good! Not the place to wear your smart work clothes though. :ph34r: Wellies, overalls and a hat would be more appropriate!

K x

I went to see the pigeon lady and she is definitely mad, but I think in a good way. I said I could start this Wednesday and she is going to check whether she will be available this Wednesday to show me what to do and let me know over the weekend. Once I am familiar with it, it won't matter whether she is in or not.

She started out keeping white doves, but as she lets them out during the day, they have bred with the local feral pigeons and she now has lots and lots of multicoloured pigeons!

Excellent - a mad pigeon dove woman :D can't go far wrong there then ;)

Actually, from past experience... animal lovers seem to generally be nice people... its funny how many are called nuts because they keep large numbers of animals... cuz its different I guess :unsure:

Hope you enjoy the work, it certainly sounds like it will be convenient... now you just need to find out if you can hack cleaning out bird mess on a regular basis :P