Andy

IPAD and apps for SEN

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but i was wondering what peoples experience was with IPADs and children with SEN?

I have had an IPAD for about 18 months, and DS took an interest and used to play a couple of games on it when he was 6. He is now 7, and i was made aware of a couple of sites that review apps for children with SEN.

We have found some of the apps amazing. DS struggles with fine motor skills, and really struggles wiht a mouse. He has taken to the ipad really well. He loves things like Maths bingo, and ABC Aliens. A lot of the apps are free, but annoyingly some of the apps targetted to this area are really expensive.

I am thinking of creating a website of my experiences with DS and the various apps that are out there. We love to hear your experiences if you have any.

I quite like this site which reviews a lot of the available apps, and includes some video footage of the apps in action.

http://a4cwsn.com/apps/apps-a-z/

A nice video blog of a guy who is trying to get good information to parents of children with SEN

Can link it sorry, but type in to google vimeo and a4cwsn

Edited by Andy

sometimes my voice goes weird and u cant hear me as it goes like a little girl as im told. I did have speech difficulties as a kid but i have on my ipad app called speak it! really good it speaks for u when u type it. face cards u know the ones i shown on tv they have face cards for ipad and choicepadlite that is a free edition, the fll version is expensive but u can press a picture and it speaks for u, and then ive got every day bsl sign language

My son has an ipad. My hubby is a gadget geek and L inherited his first iPad when he upgraded to his second. We have found it a fantastic tool. He watches a lot of trains and The Wiggles on youtube ;) But he also plays really well with lots of the apps - he has matching ones, jigsaws, spelling apps etc. Duck Duck Moose do some fantastic ones.

He has hypotonia and hypermobile joints as well as autism and severe learning difficulties. He doesn't have the fine motor skills or strength to write, or use a mouse, and struggles with the white boards in school but because the ipad is so sensitive he can use it really well. He loves the little spelling apps where he can pull the letters to spell the words etc.

We've found it to be well worth the money.

Lynne