chris54

Employing a carer.

Our council have some money to give away.

Problem is it has to be spent by the end of March.

I am applying for some to pay for some respite care.

Problem is I cant find anyone suitable to do the caring.

I'm looking for someone who could take my boy, who is 11, for some days out, giving us all a break from each other.

Any ideas where to look.

I'v made a little progress on finding a carer. Been in contact with two possibles.

Just sent off the grant application, it had to have a covering letter from someone to back it up. I asked the school SENCO who did a fantastic letter of support.

I will be referring to the content of the SENCO's letter when filling in his DLA renewal. She's put everything in such a precise way. Much better than I can ever.

Edited by chris54

Some areas have respite workers or centres that could help... You'd have to spend some time on google to see what's in your area.

I has a respite worker who helped me go out once a week, and I'm aware that adult services exist here and there, but don't know about child services - I'm sure they'll exist, its just finding them that can be problematic unless you know someone who's in the know and will tell you.

Good luck :)

Today I have received a cheque from the council, a bit more than I asked for, £700, to be spent by the end of the summer.This money is part of the Short Break scheme.

It is to pay for son to have days out, (To provide us with respite care) to cover the cost of employing someone, travel costs, admissions act.

Not having a lot of luck finding anyone suitable who is able/willing to provide what I want/need.

I have asked my adult stepson if he is interested, he will be able to take my son out a few times.

I have to keep records of what the money is spent on and to put together a record of the days out with photos etc. (for use by the council to publicise what a good job they are doing.)

Chris I know from my experiences in foster care that individuals who start doing this sort of thing are very quickly pressurised into full time emergency care and as such a lot of people who are cleared for respite care, we where, often end up with full time care over one or two individuals and then at weekends we take kids from residential homes to give them a taster for family life. Trying to get you son into this sort of picture is almost impossible and I am not surprised you are struggling.

As another thought could you use this money for holiday schemes. I know my son has been on both sports and science related weeks at our local college and absoloutly loved them. I know this does not offer overnight care but it might free up some time for you and your wife to spend some quality time together even if it is for a few hours and can fit it into your work commitments. If he is up to it possibly a summer camp type thing for a few nights not too far from home?

just a few ideas as it would be a shame for the money not to get used and him to get something out of it himself.

Doesn't the Council/Social Services have a list of providers??

We didn't get the money as a Direct Payment. We were allocated hours, and then given a leaflet that detailed profiles and contact details for service providers that the Council had cleared as being suitable. We decided on a company called Mediline as they seemed to have more experience with children/young adults and also with ASD.

This is not anything to do with direct payment. It is a one of grant. It came out of the Short Breaks budget. (I think it was to use up what was left in this years budget)

You had to say what you wanted the money for and why you thought you were deserving.

I had got a letter from the school senco to back my bid for the grant.

It was open to anyone (Disabled children) who was not already in receipt of any funding from the council. It could have been for anything that would be of benefit to the child and their family. I asked for funding to allow him to spend some time away from us, in the form of day trips out. To give both him and us a break. I have no problem (Not much) in finding people how would do regular care its the taking out on one of trips that is the stumbling block.

Sorry, my mistake talking about Direct Payments.

Yes, we get the same thing as you ie. funding for short breaks, but we don't get given the money, we get allocated a total number of hours per annum. Social services handle the funding of it and they gave us a list of service providers - so social services in your area [or whoever gave you this funding money] must also have a list of service providers that they can give to you so that you can phone them.

Have you tried phoning mediline?