Sign in to follow this  
Charlie C

Social services appointeeship (court of protection)

Social services LD team have got court of protection over my money becuase my frineds was taking all my benefits so they are my appointee and pay money into my bank account they they have got it paid to them from DWP eg.

How would this affect my benefits? Has anybody eles got this and how is it working for you? when I reclaim benefits would it be more helpful for me having a appontee becuase I can't mangae my own money?

I think it would be best to talk with Social Services about this.

If they have found that you are vulnerable, and need their support with your financies, then maybe they should be more involved to help plan your budget, go shopping with you, set up direct debit bill payments etc.

Did you know that this other person was taking your benefits. Did you think they were a friend of yours? Was it one person or a number of people?

It should not affect the amount of Benefits you receive. What it might do would be to demonstrate that you need MORE support, and that Social Services should provide that. The alternative is Direct Payments, where you would receive money to pay someone to support you. But as you've had difficulties controlling your money, it would appear sensible that Social Services themselves were involved.

Do you have any family member or appointee that could help you talk with social services? If you really don't understand what social services are doing, or what your options are, I would tell them that. They should explain things to you so that you do understand what they are doing, how this support will continue etc.

If not you could phone the National Autistic Society to see if anyone from there could help.

Many cities have some kind of disability support place or person you could get advice or support from.

Maybe a visit to citizens advice could give you the address and telephone numbers of some local organisations. You could even ask Citizens Advice to set up an appointment with them for you.

Hope that has answered your question?