Tink

Hello

Hello, I've just become a member. We're in the process of getting a diagnosis for our 8yr old son - initial assessment indicates Aspergers, ADHD and sensory defensiveness, as well as possible dyslexia??

Currently feeling bewildered, sad, angry, overwhelmed and a hundred other emotions :(

Have joined to try and get some perspective as well as tips & tricks, support and information!

Thanks in advance

Edited by Tink

Hello Linnet, thank you for the welcome.

I'm quite overwhelmed reading some of the topics/threads - starting to think the journey will be a long one :(

Hi and welcome it is overwhelming my 12 year son was dx aspergers last september my 3 older children have traits as well and grandaughter ......this site will set you in the right direction has been alot of help to me and still is.......

Thats what I'm hoping lindy...thanks all for welcomes.

We have a 2nd assessment with psych today, Sensory profile completed by OT on monday and school have referred to ed pysch so things are moving. Having to pay for it all ourselves unfortunately as 9 month wait for asst by local CAMHs!!

Main concern at the moment is DS biting.. usually me and dad, but last night was biting himself. Feel really sad and powerless to help him at the moment although me and hubby have worked out a lot of coping strategies for ourselves. School 'don't have a problem' ARRRGH!

And breathe..............

Welcome

I've got a few diagnoses common to your son. You might want to ask for an assessment for colorimeter/irlen lenses

as they can help all of those disabilities mentioned. Some folk find dietary interventions help as well eg gluten or dairy

removal.

The biting is probably craving sensory input, maybe hard fruits and vegetables ie raw would be a suitable alternative?