SidiousUK

Instruments in songs

Hi all

I am not exactly what you would call a music mogual, but I do like a wide range of music (from BeeGees to Marylin Manson & Rammstein)

I was listening to some of my favourite songs the other day and something clicked.

Nearly every song had either violins or piano solos in them.

It may have been the week for it as I have not been having a great time recently and these two instruments are usually used in songs that some people would consider miserable one (well, a google search says that anyways)

Does anyone else have a particular draw to one instrument or a particular type of music?

I can still remember the first song I acutally bought was Get into the Groove by Madonna and as my nan was away, I was able to stay there and listen to it on the record player over and over again. (Yes! a record player!)

The first song I remember listening to was a Ken Dodd and the Diddy Men album that my nan had bought. Think I still have it somewhere

Stairway to Heaven features recorders. Just felt I had to mention that.

From an AS perspective I have always been drawn to anything which is multi layered and draws you into a track whilst at the same time asking you to hold onto previous musical acents.

I think the first thing which ticked the boxes for me and created this early fascination was Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells', which I got when it came out and listened to repeatedly. From that I got into artists such as Jean Michel Jarre and progressive rock bands such as Yes. Whilst there are many other forms of music which I really enjoy this genre would I say have a different emotional resonance with me, rather than sitting back and enjoying the music for what it is, it is far more of an intellectual game to get into. It was a really important means of escapasim in my youth and still is a go to area when I want realx, a bit of a case of total absorption in trying to get other things out of my mind.

I think a large element in this fascination was the limitations of 16 track recording and so records in my formative years had an underlying structure to them, a kind of mathematical element, that could be analysed and deconstructed in your mind. I think it is this structural elment to music which I would say is my autistic thing.

Cant remember where I first heard Tubular Bells but I still got the LP.

You would expect some one of my age to say they don't like "Modern music" and you would not be far wrong.

The Play list that LancsLad has doesn't sound to bad.

If I had to pick out one instrument that stops me in my tracks it would be Northumbrian Pipes.