Bearer-of-the-Word

First Post, Newish member, Couple of Questions!!!!

Hi Everyone,

I've been a member for a bit but it's taken me a while to get round to this post!

I've recently been diagnosed with Adult ADHD (I am a 38 Year old Male) and have been referred by 'A Senior Commissioning Manager' (Any Idea what their role actually is?) for an assessment at a Pilot Autism/Aspergers Scheme.

I started my journey in 2008 when it was suggested that I may have ADHD, Since then Aspergers has been suggested too! My research into AS has shed so much light into who I am and what I am, although this diagnosis hasn't been confirmed (Yet!) I'm aware that self-diagnosis is very common with regards to AS, Does anyone know of any other conditions where this is so?

Also, Can anybody share any thoughts/Ideas on the fact that whenever I try and talk to my family about possible Aspergers, everyone just clams up, change the subject and generally get really patronising "Let's Just wait and see, Shall We?" Everyone was like this about the ADHD Diagnosis and since confirmation of that still don't seem to take it seriously! Has anyone else experienced similar from family etc???

Am I deluding myself? Is this referral not another step towards confirming AS?

Yes they were a real pain in the ###### in many ways. Part of the AS assesment process was a questionaire that parents are asked to fill in, which was in complete denial about issues in my childhood, to the point of missing blatant facts about things like school exclussions, violent behaviour which was hardly a reflection on them.

I think a lot of parents don't fully understand the condition and the term autism scares them to death and brings up false associations based on traditional attitudes. I think sometimes they simply can't be objective about their own child. In my instance their input was basically put to one side as not being very clear.

Since my diagnosis things have completely broken down between us. I was hoping the assesment would bring us together instead I feel because they do not recognise this condition which is part of me they do not respect me for the person I am and always have been.

I think you will end up treading this path on your own, I have had massive support from my partner but so much of this path is personal that you should more or less see it that way, just my opinion.

Best wishes.

I've had a similar thing happen with me and my parents - we still talk - just not about AS.

Somebody said something to me that really hit home - if they (my parents) admit that I have AS then it means they didn't notice/failed to help/whatever else you wanna list here.

I think for me at least, this is the case - my parents100% insist I do not have AS

Dunno if its a general thing or not - but it made sense to me.

Hello by the way :)