Guineapigged

Should I "prepare" for my assessment?

I am worried that I'll turn up and not remember anything to say and will kick myself afterwards for leaving things out, but at the same time I don't want to turn up with this big list in case they think I'm over eager or trying too hard to get a diagnosis. I have a huge fear of looking like a fraud. Is that a reasonable worry or is it paranoid?

I am worried that they will ask me a question like, "Did you do any self-soothing activities as a child?" (something I've been asked before) and I will not be able to think of an example, and answer "not that I can think of" when in fact, if you gave me 20 minutes to think about it I could come up with a long list of things.

Basically: would it look bad if I prepared a file with a page on "Repetitive Behaviours - past and present", another on "Sensory Sensitivities" etc?

Maybe you could strike a balance and have some things written down - there's no point writing any more than 2 pages though because you don't wanna swamp the person you see with too much info - I've found that 2 pages is about the limit of most people - especially when some points might require a lengthy discussion!!

So on one page I'd use single world prompts on things I want to remember so in your example I might write::

Childhood - and then write key words or short sentences to jog my memory.

And on the other page I'd note down things that I know I'd want to bring up - so again for your appointment/s - any questions you have - or specific points you want to raise.

Hope this helps

Darkshine

PS - I don't know if good luck is the right sentiment - but good luck anyway :)

Edited by darkshine

I certainly would jot a few things down, but, like Darkshine says, don't need to write an essay. Just bullet points to jog your memory, maybe single words in list form:

- spinning

- touching light switch

that kind of thing.

I'm like you, if asked a question and put on the spot my mind will go blank and I won't be able to think of anything but, given time, there could be a lot I could say. My lad is the same, he'd just shrug and answer, "not really", to everything because he wouldn't be able to think on his feet, thereby giving doctors totally the wrong impression of him.

I think it will just show that you have pre-prepared rather than that you are trying to 'pass' a test, as such. You could always explain that you find it hard to remember things when nervous so have jotted a few things down to jog your memory, by way of explanation.

~ Mel ~

I think the first point I would like to make is I was very worried Guineapigged about being fraudulent but didn't have the faintest idea of how I might possibly go about being fraudulent to be honest. It does not surprise me that you might feel the same I guess we all did. I think this comes from feeling there might be people out there who could have a worse experience of ASD's and as such is it fair for us to be given the same diagnosis, I think at least this is where my feelings came from. The natural conclusion would therefore be only one person in the world could have a genuine diagnosis and the rest of us need something a bit lesser, this make no real sense and so I had to conclude as long as I was true to myself which I always am in life what I recieved at the end of the process would be the right thing for me. In the same way by being honest you will get the right decision at the end of the process.

In respect to notes I agree with the above points. I think many people will need to have notes to enable them to either feel in control, as a prompt, have something to genuinely hold in their hands for comfort, or for a multitude of other reasons all of which are genuine and an extension of yourself and how you choose to opperate in life.

Guineapigged you do not need to justify your position inthe assesment process. people will have decided that you are 'worth' the time and effort in looking at your 'individual' circumstances and as such will want to give you an honest and fair view of what they see from the evidence and in the person in front of them on the day.

This was a very big thing for me to go through and something which was wrapped up in a lot of anxiety, self questioning and doubts. In my experience the assesment was an open and sensitive hour and a half of my life and was made to feel as comfortable as could be reasonably expected considering what was at stake. My thoughts and best wishes are with you, please let us all know how it goes and know we are here for support if you need us.

It's very sensible to take a few notes with you to jog your memory of important points.. But a big list will not be helpful as you won't be able to find the information you want quickly and the assessor won't look at it anyway.

The assessment won't just be about self-reported symptoms. Although they will ask you about symptoms now and in childhood, they will also be observing and may ask you to do some tests or activities as well. Their job is to get information out of you, not to quiz you. So don't worry about remembering absolutely everything because it's not just about that.