Special_talent123

Painful headaches

Last saturday I went to see the out of hours doctor in hospital. It turns out I didn't bang my head but have a migraine as soon as she were about to discharge me i went faint in front of her and she had to get me on the bed as i were wobbly. I went home with ibropfen from the doctor and to take paracetamol but that hadnt helped.

Last thursday I spoke to my GP on the phone and they said it sounds like a 'Cluster headache' and i asked so 'is it a migraine' she said well a tiny one when the light hurts my eyes sometimes but more of a cluster headache. So the GP gave me ibroprofen and cocodamol- but I burnt up on cocodamol yesterday and were advised by nhs direct to stop taking them but got out of hours to contact me to give me advice but they said 'continue taking them' but i said 'what to be ill', she said she isnt going to be given advice on medication im confused she a doctor - but i ended the call saying 'we arent getting any where with this call'

Not everyone can take co-codomol as it has paracetamol and codeine in.

It makes me feels sort of light headed and woozy (but not in a good way). It is the codeine that affects me badly.

Maybe you could try Ibroprofen and paracetamol? Ask at the chemist counter, and get them to write down how many of each tablet you can take, and when to take them, so you don't get confused and take the wrong dose.

Paracetamol and ibuprofen would normally bring a temperature down, so that's an odd reaction. I think you need to go back to your GP on Monday morning for advice on this. In the mean time, I find anadin extra good for a bad headache. It might not makd you feel totallt better, but it should help a bit.

Watch out with taking codeine - it can cause awful constipation.

I’ve got this kind of migraines for 20 years. Mine are triggered by drinks/foods like coffee, cheese and chocolate or my behaviour like luck of sleep and anxiety.

General exercises and walking of the fresh air help a lot.

mine is stress related. ive been strongly advised by nhs direct nurse to stop taken cocodamol i were burning up badly but out of hours disagreed so i decided not taking it but gonna call doctor tomorrow

thanks for the link i dont drink alot of caffeine most of the time i drink water. I get to bed early but i can not get to sleep because im overworrying and having daily flashbacks. But the thing is my GP says there more of a cluster headache than a migraine . i asked if its a migraine she said only small but more of cluster headache.

On that link you gave about cluster headaches it says that oxygen therapy and something called Sumatriptan is used to treat them... It might be worth asking?

(It says this under the "treatment and support" title - which is the third title as you scroll down the page - after "cluster headache attacks" and "who is affected")

Good idea! I haven't got a clue about cluster headaches - so thank you for the link by the way :)

I don't know anything about that medication at all - the sumatriptan - never heard of it - but its worth asking since it is mentioned on an NHS page - you'd think there would be some degree of truth on there.

Which also begs the question - why are they trying to palm you off with paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine.... especially if codeine doesn't suit you!

Hope you get something sorted as those headaches sound really really bad

Best

Darkshine

Edited by darkshine